Which doctorates don't have a stats exam to get in

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Iona

Which doctorates don't have a stats exam to get in

Post by Iona » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Hello

I am hopeless at stats cant remember anything from UG/PG about stats! Just wondering if anyone knows of any doctorates which don't include a statistics exam?
-I hear Essex is one?

The other question is for those university with stats entry exams, what do you need to know, Do you just need a general knowledge of what tests to use in which situation on SPSS? or how to actually carry them out on SPSS/in hand calculations?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!:)

bluegoat

Re: Which doctorates don't have a stats exam to get in

Post by bluegoat » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 pm

You can see which ones do have a test here and all the relevant information...

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 am

Of course, having a screening task doesn't mean that there are any stats involved in that screening task.

bex4010

Post by bex4010 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:20 am

Yes I agree with RJParker and was going to say some of them are research methods rather than SPSS / stats. So thinking about how would you go about answering a research question, which methodologies would you use, what and how would you measure outcomes ... that sort of thing ...

amyaston88

Post by amyaston88 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:33 am

I attending 3 screening tests this year and only one made reference to SPSS/stats, but still, it wasn't anything a bit of reading up couldn't prepare you for. They seem to be more based on research methods.

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:51 am

Which is why I included the link, so the OP can look into it and see what each one involves...

Unless there is anyone else on here who is prepared to go through each course's screening test and figure out which does and doesn't include stats?

AnonymousMouse

Post by AnonymousMouse » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:47 pm

Salomons and Surrey put their past papers online each year so you can see what they look like. No stats, just designing research experiments.

ell

Post by ell » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Just a gentle reminder that unless the course have published copies of past screening tests, then please do not share details of them here.

It's worth remembering the difference between stats and research methods (and how they link together). It may just be stats you are worried about, in which case I doubt the courses are going to be asking you to conduct an ANOVA by hand, or which buttons on SPSS you need to press to do a multiple regression. Courses may be asking you which stats test you would do, but this is likely to be part of a wider question on research design.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:00 pm

AnonymousMouse wrote:Salomons and Surrey put their past papers online each year so you can see what they look like. No stats, just designing research experiments.
Hmm, sorry, not sure I entirely agree with this. Yes, most past Salomons/Surrey exams generally focus on research design, analysis, and critical evaluation. However, this will usually include a few questions related to the interpretation of basic statistical data (p values, correlations, etc). But that's usually a small part and not quite a 'statistics exam', of course, you're right... (:
amyaston88 wrote:I attending 3 screening tests this year and only one made reference to SPSS/stats, but still, it wasn't anything a bit of reading up couldn't prepare you for. They seem to be more based on research methods.
Yeah, I got that sense, too (:

OP - I wonder whether it might be worth brushing up on your stats? There are lots of resources you can access (both offline and online)... As ell said, most courses don't expect you to work out ANOVAs by hand, so you should be fine. However, being confident with numbers and able to interpret them can be quite important, and is certainly helpful.
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:29 am

Echoing what ell said about the content of the test. Might I also raise the slightly obvious point that even if there's no stats test in selection, there will be plenty of stats in the course!
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

ell

Post by ell » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:58 pm

eponymous85 wrote:Echoing what ell said about the content of the test. Might I also raise the slightly obvious point that even if there's no stats test in selection, there will be plenty of stats in the course!
Yes, and while there is some stats taught on the courses, there's no guarantee it will be in depth or of good quality.

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:48 am

ell wrote: Yes, and while there is some stats taught on the courses, there's no guarantee it will be in depth or of good quality.
Ha :D
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

midas

Post by midas » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:16 am

Yes, and while there is some stats taught on the courses, there's no guarantee it will be in depth or of good quality.
My favourite line for any stats question, explain what you already know then say "but I would go back to text books or consult a statistician to check my methods!"
Based on CPs I have worked with who rely on APs for any statistical analysis, annual reports, pre-post outcome measure analysis, I don't know how much stats is taught/retained. :)

Nads

Post by Nads » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:21 am

Andy fields research methods book is quite good which you could search on Amazon. I think it cost me £20. However, I think the best thing is to practice going through some research scenarios/vignettes (you can search the forum) and practice how you would answer them. I would try and practice designing a study toy answer a research question following the usuall format as you would you dissertation but in much less detail!

Iona

Post by Iona » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:51 pm

Thank you all so much for your advice, this is really useful. Thank you for taking the time to get back to me.

Much appreciated- and good luck to all 2016 applicants!

Iona :)