Low/Mid/High 2:1

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
rebeccasmith1201

Low/Mid/High 2:1

Post by rebeccasmith1201 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 am

I was wondering whether anybody clarify what accounts for a 'low', 'mid' and 'high' 2:1?

Does a mid 2:1 start at 65? I received 65 within my undergrad so I have my fingers crossed that it does!
assistantpsych.blogspot.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
midas

Re: Low/Mid/High 2:1

Post by midas » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:36 am

I'd dare say there isn't a consistent scale that all of the course centres use, so it would likely be best to check with the ones who specify mid or high as to what they mean by that. Just to add into the conversation that is going on at the moment, I ended up with a 2:1 graded as 62 on the transcript. I got a merit in my MSc a few years later. I got onto training this year (at Manchester) so it is possible to do it without being an academic wonder.

Your post really reminded me of when I was 24 arguing that I was still in my "early twenties" and the boundaries of early, mid and late twenties with my older friends haha... being a month away from 30 I would love to be back in that position!!

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:44 am

I was also wondering about this! I guess a high 2:1 is 67+?

I can't even remember my official mark :shock: Is it normal to be given your mark somewhere rather than just classification? I had to work mine out and it's not actually written down anywhere official - looking at my transcript it doesn't even mention the official breakdown of how my degree mark was worked out I.e. first year not worth anything, second year 40℅ third year 60%... :?

Iwona

Post by Iwona » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:04 pm

I've just checked my transcript and it also doesn't show the 'final' grade. I was under the impression that my grade was 65%. Now, I've realised that although I got 65.3% in my 3rd year, in my second year I got only 63.3% which makes my final grade 64.5% I suppose...(2nd year worth 40% and 3rd year worth 60%). I remember seeing a post not long ago on here that some universities use a different system to work it out and they're mainly interested in the grade achieved in the 3rd year?

astra

Post by astra » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Not all uni's even give a mark as a percentage, and they all work them out differently so it's not an exact science. Course centres have different criteria and are taking a lot more than degree mark into account so you really do need to be clear on the entry criteria for the courses you are interested in, and then you may need to adjust where you are interested in depending on how your degree mark compares. There really is no simple formula.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:42 pm

I think the London units say a high 2:1 is 65%.

I know Bangor specifies a percentage and then works it out themselves and some people who met the percentage weren't successful as they didn't make it using Bangors calculation so if you are on the border it may be worth sending an email.

For me and this is totally unscientific but based on age I'd say 60-63 is a low 2:1, 64-66 is a mid 2:1 and 67-69 is a high 2:1. Purely based on the fact that I would say 30-33 is early 30's 34-36 is mid thirties and 37-39 late thirties :D

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Hello,

I've scrolled through the Clearing House info, and this is what I've found (though this is obviously for 2015 entry, so things may change for 2016 entry):

Most courses don't seem to specify what type of 2:1 (and may accept 2.2s or have no minimum degree class (hey Lancaster!))

Some give a number:

Bangor - single or joint honours 1st or good 2:1 (above 64%) -A Masters degree does not compensate for a low 2:1 or 2:2 degree.

Birmingham - a 1st class degree; a high 2:1 (ie a GPA of 65 or above); or if a lower 2:1, a clinically relevant Master's degree in addition.

UEL - at least a high 2:1 class (overall grade of 65% or greater)

Essex - At least a high 2:1 honours degree with a third year average of 65% or above in Psychology. OR
A 2:2 or low 2:1 honours degree in Psychology with subsequent demonstration of academic competence, for example through achieving 65% or above (or equivalent) at Masters/Doctoral level in a research degree relevant to clinical psychology.

But others don't:

Leicester - (mid 2:1 or above). People with a low 2:1 will be considered if they have supplemented their first degree by completing a research-based Masters or a PhD in an area relevant to clinical psychology.

UCL - a mid or high 2:1. Applicants with a low 2:1 or a 2:2 will not be accepted unless achievement in an academically demanding course, eg achieving a high 2:1 in a further undergraduate degree, or a Distinction in an academically rigorous Masters degree.

Oxford – good 2:1

Sheffield – good 2:1

Someone on those courses might be able to share more about what constitutes "good" or "mid" but maybe the courses are deliberately vague for a reason. And as far as I know, there's not a set formula for calculating scores. Do people put it on their form anywhere?

Amina

Post by Amina » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:40 pm

This is from UEA 2014 selection criteria:

University of East Anglia
Doctoral Programme in Clinical Psychology
RATING CRITERIA – 2014 ENTRY
Please read the rating criteria carefully even if you have rated applications for us previously.
Please score each applicant on each of the 6 categories according to the criteria below. The scores in all categories should then be added up and written in the ‘Total’ column. The maximum rating that any applicant can receive is 20.
Additional information for clarification is provided at the end of the rating criteria.
1) Academic
Degrees are screened at the administrative check to ensure they provide Graduate Basis for Chartership (GBC).
Points are awarded for different degrees and degree classifications and are additive.
Undergraduate degrees
0 - 2.2 or 3rd class honours degree*
1 - 2.1 honours degree below 67%
2 - 2.1 honours degree 67% and above
3 - 1st Class honours degree
Postgraduate degrees
0 - No postgraduate degree or if PG degree is a Conversion degree
1 - Masters degree (taught)
2 - Masters degree (by research)
3 - PhD

rebeccasmith1201

Post by rebeccasmith1201 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:38 am

Thank you everybody, especially those who have taken the time to scroll through clearing house and entry requirements!

In the future I'm guessing it's worth emailing courses I'm interested in and getting their advice. Being in the middle makes it quite anxiety provoking, and the difference between maybe needing a masters or not (something that has always played on my mind).

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:37 pm

midas wrote: Your post really reminded me of when I was 24 arguing that I was still in my "early twenties" and the boundaries of early, mid and late twenties with my older friends haha... being a month away from 30 I would love to be back in that position!!
Haaaaaaaa this is exactly me. Both in conversations with friends and being a month shy of 30.

boundless

Post by boundless » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:51 pm

midas wrote: Your post really reminded me of when I was 24 arguing that I was still in my "early twenties" and the boundaries of early, mid and late twenties with my older friends haha... being a month away from 30 I would love to be back in that position!!
Oh man...I'm 24 and it only just occurred to me that I'm no longer 'early 20s'! :shock:

lenisy

Post by lenisy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:02 pm

I don't get why a low 2:1 needs to be made up for by a distinction in a Masters (e.g. UCL/UEL). I got a low 2:1 in my undergrad and a high merit (69%) in my MSc - surely that's more evidence of academic achievement than 65% at undergrad?

It's frustrating!

astra

Post by astra » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Unfortunately Lenisy, it just comes down to competition, there are a lot of people applying who have better scores than you and have good experience. As has been said, you need to be selective where you apply to to have the best chance with the grades you've got. I know having a 2:1 and a Masters is pretty darn good for most things, but it's about the people you are up against in this particular field and whether your marks fully measure up. It's like applying for any of the professions - it's competitive.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

rebeccasmith1201

Post by rebeccasmith1201 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Just to update this thread- I've noticed Sheffield's short listing criteria have included a bit of background into what is a low/mid/high 2:1. Using their 0-3 point scale, 1 point is for an Upper 2:1 (low to mid), whilst 2 points is High 2:1.

rebeccasmith1201

Post by rebeccasmith1201 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Just to add further, Leicester have included the following:

''Please note that we determine a degree to meet the standard of mid 2:1 or above (ie an overall grade of 64.0 or above) by using the following calculation: the total score for all modules/courses taken in the final two years of the degree is divided by the number of modules/courses taken during those final two years. Double weighting (or other weighting) of modules is taken into account in this calculation.''

It's nice to now that courses are explaining what they mean by a ''good'' 2:1!

... now to stop procrastinating at work :roll: