Low/Mid/High 2:1

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: Low/Mid/High 2:1

Post by Randomswirls » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:47 pm

Oxford now specify mid to high 2:1 so that's one of my options gone!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
CLS88

Post by CLS88 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Does anyone know the actual grade for mid 2:1? I got a 64.6, I've seen somewhere that 64-66 is mid 67+ is high, is this the same for all courses?

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:55 pm

On the academic reference form, mid is 64-66.9 and high is 67-69.9 - but my understanding is that the courses vary in how they work out your overall marks, let alone how they classify what mid and high actually is! :?

Wychelm

Post by Wychelm » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:20 pm

I had some issues with Bangor on this front last year. They ask for 64%+ degree score as minimum criteria however they use their own formulation to calculate this. I officially got 64.5% on my degree transcript but got rejected by Bangor as by their calculation I was under 64. This is not at all clear and I even emailed them before applying to double check, which I was told yes apply. Bit of a bone of contention for me as Bangor is absolutely somewhere I could see myself training and it was a wasted application. I'm not applying this year so I haven't checked to see if they've made this any clearer.

I went to a conference on monday to meet Marsha Linehan in north wales and saw a lot of the Bangor course staff and students there. Had to use some radical acceptance skills to not sit there bitter and angry haha :alien:
Last edited by Wychelm on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:21 pm

I got an email from Oxford confirming that a low 2:1 is not acceptable.

svr

Post by svr » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:50 pm

I'm super confused. I got a 2:1 for my undergrad, but my course never actually gave me an overall grade. If I work it out myself, it's about a 64. However, I did a Masters level conversion course and got a merit (I wasn't given an overall mark for this either!). When I've applied in the past, I've listed my undergraduate degree as a 2:1 and attached my transcript for my Masters. The clearing house specifically says that the only transcript required is the one for the course that confered GBC and also that you should only put a specific mark (e.g 64) if your university gave you an official overall average. I know some universities ask that you send your undergraduate transcript directly to them in this case, but some don't. So, I guess my question is- how would they know you have a high 2:1 or not? :?

AnsweringBell

Post by AnsweringBell » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:18 pm

svr wrote:I'm super confused. I got a 2:1 for my undergrad, but my course never actually gave me an overall grade. If I work it out myself, it's about a 64. However, I did a Masters level conversion course and got a merit (I wasn't given an overall mark for this either!). When I've applied in the past, I've listed my undergraduate degree as a 2:1 and attached my transcript for my Masters. The clearing house specifically says that the only transcript required is the one for the course that confered GBC and also that you should only put a specific mark (e.g 64) if your university gave you an official overall average. I know some universities ask that you send your undergraduate transcript directly to them in this case, but some don't. So, I guess my question is- how would they know you have a high 2:1 or not? :?
In general, they'd know because a lot of applicants (most?) will have their GBR conferred from their undergrad degree, so that would be the transcript they'd attach to the application.

svr

Post by svr » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:46 pm

I think you're right that the vast majority will have GBC from their first degree, but it's not that unusual for applicants to have conversion courses (I hope!). I can't believe that Unis will have just overlooked this. But to be safe, I'm not applying anywhere that specifies a high 2:1.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:46 am

Hi everyone - I'm just starting to think about applying for the DClinPsy for the first time this year and have been looking at the clearing house website and am again really confused by this low/mid 2:1 distinction! I am fairly certain I got a mark of around 64% overall in my degree - my degree was weighted 60% final year, 40% second year and the first year wasn't worth anything. However based on Leicester's definition of how they work out grades I got 66% as I did better in my second year than my final year (so a mid - high 2:1!). We are probably going to be moving next year to Birmingham so I was looking at the courses in the Midlands - Birmingham state that you need a high 2:1 or a completed clinically relevant masters... does anyone know how Birmingham work out the grading of your degree? Or do they use whatever classification your university uses? Obivously Birmingham location wise would be the ideal place to apply given we will be moving there but I don't want to apply if my application will be binned straight away for not meeting the criteria! Since this is my first time applying and I 'only' have 4 years varied Support Worker under my belt I'm not expecting any great things from this application round, and next year I will have completed my MSc so will be able to apply by then hopefully, but you never know so I'd rather apply to universities that I actually would be able to go to if selected!

Also since on my degree transcript and degree certificate my actual grade is not written anywhere do I need to contact my university for them to provide me with something to prove my exact grade percentage?

Shmit

Post by Shmit » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:09 am

Hi Esuma,

With my application last year I had to send a few extra bits off to Birmingham about my 2:1 classification.

They required a minimum of 65, and similar to you my transcript didn't give my overall score. They emailed me once they'd received my application and I had to either send additional paperwork showing my score (which none of mine did), or get somebody from my university to email them and confirm my result... which is what I did in the end and was accepted as I then went onto the written task.

Although I'm not 100%, I think they just went off the paperwork from my undergrad saying my score rather than working it out themselves.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks for your reply Schmit - in that case unfortunately it looks like applying to Birmingham is a no go for me this year! Very frustrating but not unexpected and part of the reason I've decided a MSc might be necessary for me to ever get onto the doctorate! It's interesting knowing for future reference how to go about proving the overall percentage too.

Wychelm

Post by Wychelm » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:46 am