Blank clinical reference form

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
JBoulton

Blank clinical reference form

Post by JBoulton » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:05 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of a blank clinical reference form? My supervisor wants to look over the questions and I can't find my copy of the reference for last year.

Thanks.

Amina

Re: Blank clinical reference form

Post by Amina » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:30 am

Hi there!

I don't have one but I did a search for 'reference' on the Clearing House website and it came up with a couple of sample ones in PDF format-don't know if these are the most recent ones? Hope that helps!

JBoulton

Post by JBoulton » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks, that would have made a lot of sense for me to check first. I think they are old forms. It's all good though, gives them something to work with.

On a side note. Just seen the academic reference for the first time and that is brutal! For all of those who had fleeting engagement with an undergraduate supervisor versus those coming off a PhD; there is no way your supervisor from 3+ years ago will be able to remember enough about you to fill that in. My masters supervisor has vanished and my undergrad has left academia and gone back to Canada!

Amina

Post by Amina » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:29 pm

JBoulton wrote:Thanks, that would have made a lot of sense for me to check first. I think they are old forms. It's all good though, gives them something to work with.

On a side note. Just seen the academic reference for the first time and that is brutal! For all of those who had fleeting engagement with an undergraduate supervisor versus those coming off a PhD; there is no way your supervisor from 3+ years ago will be able to remember enough about you to fill that in. My masters supervisor has vanished and my undergrad has left academia and gone back to Canada!
Yep lots of people have found this really tricky I think - if you do some more searches here there's loads of discussions about this too! Again, some courses do mention on their application info about preferring your undergrad (or whichever gave GBC) supervisor/tutor. For me this is impossible as I graduated in 2000 (!!!!!!!!!!) and although I had a great relationship with my tutors it's just too long ago and they've moved on. I did a conversion course the following year (still an AGE ago!!) but barely remember my tutors and imagine they will have no idea who I am!! We had relatively little contact with them in comparison to my undergrad course. In my case I'm starting a masters this Sept so am hoping I'll be able to use someone from that as a reference, but otherwise it'd be really hard! When I applied for the masters I managed to use a work reference and someone from a short course I'd undertaken which was great, but I don't think that will be any good for the DClinPsy!!

Sorry that's entirely unhelpful, but just to let you know many others share your pain!

As I said, I think it's worth having a look on this forum to see what others have done, as well as having a look at individual courses to see what they say, and then maybe emailing them just to ask for some more clarification. It can't hurt to ask in advance of applying and you certainly don't want to be trying to get answers about this in the middle of application season!

Nads

Post by Nads » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:52 pm

I think this is a very common problem! If you have a lecturer that has marked some of your work and might give you a good reference that might be an option? Course tutor? Also, I know people have used a supervisor from a researchy post as well.

If you can it might be worth putting a comment in the comments section about references stating your reason for choosing that person. I would also look at each course as some have rules on who needs to be your academic reference.

To all those who have finished their undergrad recently...keep in contact with your supervisor if you can...but by no means am I adovating stalking..good luck! :D