references

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
jennykon

references

Post by jennykon » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi all!

I've just decided to put myself through the application for the clinical doctorate. I've just started working as an AP and before this, I was a HCA in medium secure unit.
From what I've read in the forum it is a stressful process and I am already confused, although I am in the very early stages of my application :oops:
My question is about the two references we need to provide. I can very happily provide a reference from my previous and my current employer; it is however almost impossible for me to provide an academic reference. The main reason is that I didn't form any relationships with staff during my Masters and my dissertation supervisor is no longer working at the University so I have no idea how to contact her. I didn't carry on with the rest of my application, as I am not sure what to do with the references.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
Jenny

JBoulton

Re: references

Post by JBoulton » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm in the exact same position as you. My undergraduate supervisor has left the uni and moved back to Canada. My master's supervisor retired and vanished (not even a forwarding e-mail address). Last year I tracked down my undergraduate supervisor on Facebook and asked for a reference, to which they agreed. Obviously, I have no idea on the quality of that reference.

This year I'm going to try my master's uni again to see if they have contact details, if not, perhaps ask for a general reference. The course directors can always provide a reference as well, I guess?

I find the academic reference process terribly flawed (the form is very detailed and therefore biased towards those with longstanding relationships with academic supervisors, i.e. PhD students)

ClaireEmma

Post by ClaireEmma » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:34 pm

That sounds really tough. You could ask the university if they have an email address for her, explaining that you need a reference. I know it's a bit awkward, but you could also look her up on LinkedIn? Alternatively, you could ask someone else from the university, you may not have a personal relationship with them, but they should have access to your transcript etc. There is a place on the form that asks if there's any additional information you need to give, you could perhaps explain there the difficulty you had getting an academic reference from someone who knows you personally.

Hope you can get something sorted!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:05 pm

I had similar last year in that whilst my uni tutor remembered me it had been ten years and she couldn't really remember me. She gave me a reference but said it was very basic etc. as a result I found some voluntary work in a research setting to get a reference which wasn't ideal.