Reference concern

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
LeanneH

Reference concern

Post by LeanneH » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone could shred some light on a query I have as I'm new to the application process this year!

I had contacted my experience and academic referees a few months ago and both agreed however after being out of the country for a few weeks I have come home to realise that my academic reference has still not been started! I have emailed her but have yet to have a reply and I'm going to contact the university tomorrow but....

Is the deadline for references the 10th of this month? I'm a little confused as I'm sure I've read this but also seen that references may be submitted in Jan? How concerned should I be that it's not been submitted yet?

Also, if she cannot do my reference in time who else could I put? I don't think anyone else from university will remember me well enough to provide a substantial reference. I worked in research for 6 months with a clin psych - could they provide an academic reference?

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Reference concern

Post by Geishawife » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:00 pm

You are panicking way ahead of time here! References do not have to be in until January, and the Clearing House will contact you if references aren't received and give you time to chase them up before the forms are sent out to course centres. Slow down and take a deep breath - you still have plenty of time!!

LeanneH

Post by LeanneH » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:04 pm

Ah thank you so much for clearing that up for me!

Jet lag + hastily scrambling around the clearing house website was not much fun!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:48 pm

The email to references asks them to complete it by 10th December, and as with application forms many are done at the last minute. But there is time allowed after that for the clearing house to chase references that have not been received, and then time for them to contact you to get you to speak to the reference or nominate a new one before the forms go off to courses for shortlisting, which is why it is only January that you need to worry about that kind of stuff.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

JBoulton

Post by JBoulton » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:41 pm

I've had a reference done on 8th January before and everything was fine, no need to panic just yet :)

GooeyLoo

Post by GooeyLoo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:52 am

This post has been reassuring!

My academic referee still hasn't submitted his reference as yet. Apparently because a lot of university servers were hacked the other week he's been granted an extension (has anyone else had this happen?!), but I feel a bit relieved that there's some wiggle room until January.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:37 am

One of mine went in well into late January. All went well.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:54 pm

My clinical referee was a bit late submitting hers, but she said that on her side, it said it was due by December 22. Don't worry about it for another few weeks :)

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:23 pm

Just so people know, the e-mail we get tells us the deadline is 10th December, but on the actual page we get directed to in order to submit references, the deadline is given as 15th January.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

CLS88

Post by CLS88 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:40 am

Just a little advice needed/maybe some reassurance!

I have requested a copy of both my references (both written by clinical psychologists, one from my current assistant role, and one from a clinical psychologist I am also currently doing research with).

Both references are really great, however I have noticed my academic reference has put her role as an assistant psychologist rather than a Clinical Psychologist. I have only just seen this and immediately contacted the clearing house, who has advised me to ask my supervisor to contact them explaining this error. However, my application was submitted to course centres in early December so now I'm panicking that they will have already shortlisted my batch and seen that and classed it as a non-valid reference! Does anyone know how much weighting they would place on this and they likelihood that applications will have been shortlisted already!

Complete state of anxiety!!

Thanks in advance

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:45 pm

It's a common error (as is misunderstanding the 1 to 5 rating scale and putting all 1s when they meant 5). We're used to seeing these things and translating.

CLS88

Post by CLS88 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Thank You for your response, that's put my mind at ease a little.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Also, no shortlisting takes place until all forms are received, so it won't happen yet!!