Birmingham Written Exercise 2016

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Lula

Birmingham Written Exercise 2016

Post by Lula » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this forum, but I wanted to ask if anyone had any advice regarding the written exercise for entry into the 2016 Birmingham Clinical Psych programme? I can only find one past paper and I'm hoping the format is standardised year on year but I just don't know. I was wondering if A)there was anyone who had sat previous exercises and had any advice they could give me and B) if there is anyone who knows any more about it than I do?

Many thanks

Lula

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Nelly

Re: Birmingham Written Exercise 2016

Post by Nelly » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:36 am

This is only the forth year that Birmingham has used admissions tests. They don't necessarily state that they stick to a standardised protocol (I asked the admissions tutor) so technically they reserve the right to change it as they wish but judging from previous years, it usually includes some basic statistics and research methodology. When they email you to invite you to attend the admissions test, they state that it only tests your undergraduate knowledge and apart from that they don't give you anymore information. The test lasts 45 minutes, but they may choose to change it this year.

PsychCharlie

Post by PsychCharlie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Hi,

Where did you find the previous exam for the University of Birmingham? I cannot see it anywhere!

Charlie

Pinkcrocodile

Post by Pinkcrocodile » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:11 pm

PsychCharlie wrote:Hi,

Where did you find the previous exam for the University of Birmingham? I cannot see it anywhere!

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I think I have managed to find it, please see the link below:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ychology_3

Pink crocodile

Lula

Post by Lula » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:03 am

Hiya, this is the link I found. Unfortunately it's the only one. I know that the people who kindly replied to this thread mentioned that Birmingham haven't been running the written exercise for that manyyears, but I find it strange that I can still only find 1 past paper... Weird.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... 0FINAL.pdf

Nelly

Post by Nelly » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:54 am

Lula wrote:Hiya, this is the link I found. Unfortunately it's the only one. I know that the people who kindly replied to this thread mentioned that Birmingham haven't been running the written exercise for that manyyears, but I find it strange that I can still only find 1 past paper... Weird.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... 0FINAL.pdf
As far as I know, the course centres don't have to provide any past papers if they don't want to but some unis do. If you're unsure about any of the screening tests, you could always contact the admissions tutor for that specific uni?

puggins

Post by puggins » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:40 am

Do we have a choice which date we get to do the written test or is this assigned to us by Birmingham?

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:58 pm

cassieleighanne wrote:Do we have a choice which date we get to do the written test or is this assigned to us by Birmingham?
The assign you a date and time, but my experience of Birmingham is that they're generally very helpful so if you can't make your assigned time I'd email them and ask if you can attend a different session :)

On a side note - the first batch of invitations are out!

puggins

Post by puggins » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:15 pm

firegal wrote: The assign you a date and time, but my experience of Birmingham is that they're generally very helpful so if you can't make your assigned time I'd email them and ask if you can attend a different session :)

On a side note - the first batch of invitations are out!
Thank you :). I still haven't heard anything yet :shock:
I work full time and we're supposed to book time off quite in advance, ive got the 12th off so hopefully when I do anything I'll be able to get that date!

puggins

Post by puggins » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Are there any other people who haven't heard/been invited to the test yet?

My application was released early January and I know people who's applications weren't released until the 29th who have been invited, but I'm still waiting and the tests have started this week :(

RhubarbCrumble

Post by RhubarbCrumble » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:06 pm

Have you checked your junk email?

puggins

Post by puggins » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:13 pm

I've checked my junk and spoken to the course administrator who said they'd be in touch today, but I do feel it'll be a rejection (although I definitely meet the minimum requirements and even got my degree from Birmingham) with it being left so late. I'm just worrying ha!

RhubarbCrumble

Post by RhubarbCrumble » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:24 pm

You never know, maybe they're just letting people know in batches and you had the bad luck to be at the bottom. Finger crossed for you :)

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:21 pm

cassieleighanne wrote:My application was released early January and I know people who's applications weren't released until the 29th who have been invited,
Not specifically relevant to this thread, and I'm aware it's not going to be especially helpful, but, as a general rule, don't get too focused on when your form was released. I have no idea how Birmingham operate, but many courses will wait until they have received ALL forms before starting to rate them/check them and then release results in batches, so when your form was released can be totally irrelevant. Don't give up all hope until you know for definite!!

Georgie2788

Post by Georgie2788 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:14 pm

I still haven't heard anything from Birmingham either :?