The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
ogglebog

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2016

Post by ogglebog » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:18 pm

leeds
Newcastle
Teesside

A bit disappointed with the result from Leeds but keeping my fingers crossed for teesside and Newcastle. Hope they reply soon...the wait is hard

shoelover

Post by shoelover » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Leeds
Manchester
Sheffield
Liverpool

Maybe I should change career :shock:

kimi88

Post by kimi88 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Leeds
Sheffield
Teesside
Newcastle

Come on last two.

icebluesparkles

Post by icebluesparkles » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Spatch wrote:Respect to everyone who has posted their reds.

It's easy to post success, but takes far more to open up about rejection, and most won't. However, please do as there is comfort in numbers and the more people that do post red shows the brutal reality of the process. If people only post interviews and offers (like in some years) it gives a hideously skewed picture that it's only you without offers, when the truth is very different.

I wrote a post last year, a sort of open letter to applicants (that I can't find someone else can link if they find it), after shortlisting which may be useful for some of the first timers.

Thanks Spatch. I think this is a really healthy post. Of course it is wonderful to see interviews and reserves being posted and I hope they will still appear. It is also really helpful to get some perspective by realising how many real highly calibre candidates are being 'rejected'.

My own story I think points to how bizarre this process is. Last year was my first time applying. I was shocked to get 3 interviews and 1 reserve interview (that didn't become an actual interview). Needless to say I didn't get a place anywhere - 2 reserves but not close enough. This year I submitted the exact same application form (not because I was too lazy to revise it but because I was not sure whether I was going to apply this year and just put it in last minute) to the same courses. Both my referees said they used the reference they had used last year. The only difference on my form was more experience in a different setting and I ticked the disability box. I did this because it has been part of my personal development this year to 'out myself' with that/not think I would be getting an unfair advantage in doing so.

This year I got four straight out rejections. Now of course there may have been a number of variables not related to me in the mix but it is odd to say the least that there can be such a difference from year to year and across the board.

I won't be applying again - a little peeved I have spent the last 5 years focusing a lot of time and money into a career change that won't ever materialize now (mature student...) Also struggling to see how I can use psychology (which I love) now as can't afford to self fund any other kind of route to chartered status. However, my experience has been that the most amazing things can emerge out of what feels like a failure.

Congrats to all the greens and oranges and sending you all the luck in teh world...

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Leeds
salomons
Ucl

Exciting stuff!

Volta

Post by Volta » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:15 pm

Randomswirls wrote:Leeds
salomons
Ucl

Exciting stuff!
I knew Leeds would come through for you! I'm so pleased for you :)

Sheffield
Leeds

It's all looking very real now :cyclops:

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Great news Random and Volta, so happy for you guys!!!

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:08 pm

Well done random and Volta, you legends! :)

Hope everyone is surviving these tense final days of silly season!

KerryMcC

Post by KerryMcC » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Very happy to be able to say --

Leeds
Teesside
Newcastle

Still really hoping for Newcastle though as Leeds is just that bit further travel wise!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Hockeygirl

Post by Hockeygirl » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Randomswirls wrote:Leeds
salomons
Ucl

Exciting stuff!

Well done Random!!

Mine is a Leeds

Can't believe it. 3 interviews the last 2 years, so far none this year.

Ninee

Post by Ninee » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:50 pm

icebluesparkles wrote:
Thanks Spatch. I think this is a really healthy post. Of course it is wonderful to see interviews and reserves being posted and I hope they will still appear. It is also really helpful to get some perspective by realising how many real highly calibre candidates are being 'rejected'.

My own story I think points to how bizarre this process is. Last year was my first time applying. I was shocked to get 3 interviews and 1 reserve interview (that didn't become an actual interview). Needless to say I didn't get a place anywhere - 2 reserves but not close enough. This year I submitted the exact same application form (not because I was too lazy to revise it but because I was not sure whether I was going to apply this year and just put it in last minute) to the same courses. Both my referees said they used the reference they had used last year. The only difference on my form was more experience in a different setting and I ticked the disability box. I did this because it has been part of my personal development this year to 'out myself' with that/not think I would be getting an unfair advantage in doing so.

This year I got four straight out rejections. Now of course there may have been a number of variables not related to me in the mix but it is odd to say the least that there can be such a difference from year to year and across the board.

I won't be applying again - a little peeved I have spent the last 5 years focusing a lot of time and money into a career change that won't ever materialize now (mature student...) Also struggling to see how I can use psychology (which I love) now as can't afford to self fund any other kind of route to chartered status. However, my experience has been that the most amazing things can emerge out of what feels like a failure.

Congrats to all the greens and oranges and sending you all the luck in teh world...
I'm finding this process really degrading this year and it's stories like this which reinforce this. So sorry to hear your experience which is forcing you out of a career that you love :( It really is a mystery process which doesn't join up.

manchester
exeter
south wales
oxford

Shmit

Post by Shmit » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:01 pm

icebluesparkles wrote:
Spatch wrote:Respect to everyone who has posted their reds.

It's easy to post success, but takes far more to open up about rejection, and most won't. However, please do as there is comfort in numbers and the more people that do post red shows the brutal reality of the process. If people only post interviews and offers (like in some years) it gives a hideously skewed picture that it's only you without offers, when the truth is very different.

I wrote a post last year, a sort of open letter to applicants (that I can't find someone else can link if they find it), after shortlisting which may be useful for some of the first timers.

Icebluesparkles- Thank you for being so honest and open about your experience, it must have been so difficult to accept this having worked towards a career and interest you're so passionate about, alongside making the changes to your form and then not being accepted. I think this is resonating with a few of us! What I try to tell myself (being a 4th year applicant and saying this is my final year to then go onto plan b) is that it's not me whose not good enough, it's just that there's lots of us who are. I know that doesn't solve everything and make the process any easier, but I find it reassuring to know it isn't me personally. Try and look into other routes that lead to psychology-related roles, e.g. social workers who become trained in therapeutic interventions. There is often a lot of psychology in other jobs, maybe not as clear cut as 'clinical psychologist', 'psychotherapist', 'counselling psychologist' etc. Good luck for your future career :).

In terms of progress, I'm still waiting to hear from my last 2 (Bham and Trent) and I'm slightly dubious about how Trent will turn their results and give feedback in 4 days! We shall wait and see.

ShirinM

Post by ShirinM » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:11 pm

Surrey
Salomans
Royal Holloway
Hertfordshire

im getting bored of the wait now! Randomswirls well done!!

Hopeful2016

Post by Hopeful2016 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:53 pm

shoelover wrote:Leeds
Manchester
Sheffield
Liverpool

Maybe I should change career :shock:
Don't give up :)

ClaudioV

Post by ClaudioV » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:06 pm

UCL
Coventry
Royal Holloway
UEL

I am a bit surprised with the delays this year.. Last year Coventry invited me for an interview mid February. This year it seems a couple of Unis are waiting until the very last day to give us the feedback.