The 0 Club

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
teaplease

The 0 Club

Post by teaplease »

So...first time applying this year, and no interviews. Fairly devastated to be honest. I really feel I'm ready and I was pretty proud of my application, but there you go. Maybe the Mammy didn't light enough candles :p anyway, just wondering if anyone else is in the O club as well. I'm aware that the progress thread might become biased towards people posting the interview invites they received (and well done to them!) but some people might be less keen to post when they haven't been short listed (such is human nature), so it's easy to feel like everyone got an interview but oneself. Or perhaps that is the reality and I'm a big ol loser! If you too are a member of the 0 club, then join me in a virtual pity party! We're out but we're proud haha :D
smile

Re: The 0 Club

Post by smile »

Hey, we are no loser! I've done two written tests but all of my 4 applications were unsuccessful. Disappointed? Yes. But through this journey, I've learnt so much from myself and from others. I will be back, stronger, next year!
BlueCat

Post by BlueCat »

Cracking idea. Let's highlight that it is normal to be in the zero club!
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
daisie

Post by daisie »

So very, very normal. It's easy to get stuck on the merry-go-round and miss the whole fairground.
vauz

Post by vauz »

I was hoping somebody would start something like this!

First time applying, and am pretty devastated! Four years undergrad, a post grad, and a masters and nothing. Kinda makes me feel like everything leading up to this was pointless and that I should have skipped out on all the school and just gone straight to work. Also just truly coming to the realization that I need to decide how many years I'm willing to put myself through all this stress and rejection. Such a blow to how I envision my future.
puggins

Post by puggins »

I'm not technically in the 0 club yet, but I know I don't meet the minimum criteria for my last option so it's a guaranteed no tomorrow. It's my first year applying too, but at 24 I feel slightly older than most first time applicants (although that may just be the people I know). I do feel ready, and I'm sad as I need to put my life on hold for another year - I can't plan for buying a house with my partner as I might have to move away from him for 3 years in the near future! Very frustrating for us both :(.
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

cassieleighanne wrote:I'm not technically in the 0 club yet, but I know I don't meet the minimum criteria for my last option so it's a guaranteed no tomorrow. It's my first year applying too, but at 24 I feel slightly older than most first time applicants (although that may just be the people I know). I do feel ready, and I'm sad as I need to put my life on hold for another year - I can't plan for buying a house with my partner as I might have to move away from him for 3 years in the near future! Very frustrating for us both :(.
I wonder if your life has to be put on hold? I'm not in this club yet as have not recieved all of my replies. However I refuse to put my life on hold for a course that I may never get on, as that would be utterly depressing! I'm going to pursue all the other things I want to do and I will achieve a professional qualification within psychology, it just may not be clinical. If I get interviews great, but if not I know that a rejection does not reflect my knowledge, skills and capabilities, that I have worked so hard to improve over the years!

Good luck to everyone in this '0 Club', I hope that everyone takes good care of themselves and that other fabulous opportunities present themselves in the future :-)
teaplease

Post by teaplease »

Cassieleighane: I'm 24 too and I know exactly what you mean. My friends are buying houses and getting promotions and I'm like "Um I saved really hard and bought lipgloss yesterday" :p
bethward102

Post by bethward102 »

Another member of the 0 club here after my first time applying. I went to the University of Liverpool D.Clin.Psycol open day earlier in the week and they eased the rejection by reminding me that we are statistically normal! It takes on average 3 application attempts before success and most trainees have 4-6 years work experience.

I have reflected on this experience and have decided I am probably not ready for training yet. One of the most important skills psychologists need to learn is when to take a step back to learn and reflect from their experiences - this is a perfect opportunity for us to do just that.

Personally, I am going to take this as sign that I need to grow more before moving on in my career. I have a new assistant post starting this month and I will be starting a part-time MSc in September so I am most definitely focusing on the positives :) I will be out of the running to apply next year so I will spend the time I would have spent stressing and worrying building up my skills in any way that I can.

Congratulations to all for getting through the application process and for those who will use the rejection to grow both personally and professionally!
confuseddotcom

Post by confuseddotcom »

heya... not heard back from final option but pretty sure it's a red too. Reassuring that there are others in the same position. But yes it's been so hard, didn't realise it would be this hard dealing with one rejection after another. Whilst this was just my first time, I did wait till I felt ready and had enough experience. In reality yes, next year may be a better year as I would have completed my masters by then and I'd have way stronger references (the current two was a new member of staff and a new tutor at uni). Next year would also give me a break after this stressful year of balancing a new job, flat and course. But still hurts... I don't know about you guys... but I end up catastrophising.. with the normal self-doubting thoughts. The added pressure is my age too..whilst that should not matter it does to me as I'd ideally want to finish and then start a family. Many have spoken of not putting your life on hold.. but I don't see how when you don't have the finances and future stability.. as Cassie mentioned above.. you may end up moving far for the course. I was laughing yesterday that some people graduate and go to places like Lidl for graduate schemes at 40k a year.. yes it's not all about finances but can't help but to compare the time it takes to obtain a career... optometrists for example.. 4 years of uni and pre-reg and they have more responsibilities (and a career) than I have at this stage.

But hey ho.. just waiting for the last response before I forget about this process for a few months at least..
workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama »

Statistically far more normal to be in the O club than anywhere else. And 24 definitely doesn't seem older than the average. In my cohort (at time of starting), there were (and I'm really stretching to be accurate, so I might be a little bit out, but this will be fairly close):

24, 24 just turning 25, 25, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 30,32, 34, 34, 37

The others were somewhere in the middle. Our average age at start was (I think) 28 point something. And we definitely weren't an 'old' cohort. There are some years seem to be full of younger folks, and some seem to be 'older'. Chin up, all to play for.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I'm 31 and I'm still not there. It took me four years to get a single interview. It's completely natural to be upset as being unsuccessful, but try not to take it too personally. Make sure you've got other things going on in your life. And whatever you do, don't put life on hold because of clinical. One of the hardest parts of the process for me has been feeling unable to plan my life beyond one year in advance. Every year I thought "come September, I might get onto training and have to move," which meant my life was playing second fiddle to the course. Don't make the same mistake. Do whatever you want and make clinical fit around it, not the other way around. It may take a while to get on the course - hopefully not, but you never know.
confuseddotcom

Post by confuseddotcom »

Sound advice.. something to think about after today.
katiesykerd

Post by katiesykerd »

Still waiting to hear back from a final course, but everybody else got their greens earlier in the week and it seems reds are just dripping through, so I doubt I've got that.

I'm 25, second time applying, and I felt really ready. Like I've gotten everything I need to get on. I'm doing a masters and everybody in my cohort was convinced I'd get on, even half the lecturers. So it was really really gutting to get no interviews :\ I totally get about 'living life on hold', and I was thinking that for so long until my partner landed a good job, which means we can't really move out the area now. It made me realise that I can't hold out for this and that life goes on and is impossible to 'put on hold', even if you want it to.

I applied to Cov&War because I know they give more detailed feedback on forms, and today when I got my rejection through I was really happy I did. It made me feel much more at ease about it, since it said "we received X amount of applications, and just because we can't offer you a place doesn't mean you are weak in this area, it just means other people received higher scores and we have an extremely high standard of applicants. That seemed to make me feel much better, seeing it in writing from a uni. Also, they commented that my reflections and academic experience are strong, but I need more (and more varied) clinical experience. I liked that since I feel like its given me focus for next time, rather than wandering in a sea of "huh, now what?"

So yeah, just some ramblings from the Zero Club x
Blossom

Post by Blossom »

I am 26 and feel like I am wasting my time. Was my 3rd application this year and no interviews.

I graduated in 2011 from UCL, worked from 2011-2015 with 3 years as AP (adults, CAMHS, LD, MH) and now doing an MSc at the IOP.

In my 1st application in 2013 and in my opinion the worst application with reference from an occupational therapist; I got an interview with UCL and RHUL. Their feedback was you need more experience as an AP which I accepted as I had just started my AP role. Since then no interviews. Maybe I need to make my form rubbish again.
Great things have happened in the meantime. I got married in 2014, bought 1st property Dec 2015. As others have said, I have no intention of planning my life around the course anymore. I think I may just have a baby and start a PHD hahha.

I think one of my issues is location. I can't go too far out of London but I think that has to change next time. Other than this I don't know where I am going wrong. I wish I could get some feedback.