Response to interview advice thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Volta

Response to interview advice thread

Post by Volta » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:44 pm

This thread is so incredibly helpful, thank you.

I don't have an interview (yet ;)) but this is exactly the kind of thing I would need to relax and not get too worked up over it.

Thank you :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Laurenh

Re: Clinical Psychology Doctorate Interview Advice

Post by Laurenh » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Thank you for such a considerate and helpful post, as it a first time applicant (nervously awaiting to hear regarding interviews) this is really useful! :)

ClaudioV

Post by ClaudioV » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:32 am

Mikel Arteta, thank you so much for this ultra useful piece of information! I have already got one interview to go so I will keep this advice in mind for sure!!

ElizabethB

Post by ElizabethB » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks. Very useful. I'm definitely keeping this thread in mind for my forthcoming DClinPsy interview.

Much appreciated :D
"I am different, not less."—Temple Grandin
'A door opened and I went through it!' Temple Grandin
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

enid

Post by enid » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm starting to wonder if (aside from thinking about clinical cases...good and bad) I should even prep at all (if I get an I/v) . With research I feel I should be okay. Also what I don't know now I'll never know, etc. I guess reading some recent interesting papers and policy might be a good idea too but other than that sleeping enough is probably the best thing...and trying really hard to relax/ be myself.

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi Volta, my pleasure. I hope you do get an interview, we're all behind you!

Hi Lauren, this can be a really nerve racking time. Congratulations on your interview :) I suppose my advice is eaaier said than done and everybody is different of course. The first few years of interview I think my anxiety levels did impact upon my performance. The year I got on, I has a permanent job in IAPT, which I was enjoying and went with it and enjoyed it, a sorty of 'If I get on I get on, if I don't I don't' attitude, worked for me. People do get on first attempt though, so go for it, just be yourself, there isn't much more you can do. All the best!

I have done it myself before Spatch, but it didn't help. The year I got on, least prep I did and certainly no books/notes out on the day :)

Claudio, congratulations :) Glad it is useful and hope it goes well for you!

Elizabeth, all the best for your forthcoming interview, hope you have success!

Good points enid, as I mentioned above, the year I got on I didn't do much prep, the prep has been going on for years. All the best!

Miriam, completely agree, some excellent points.

All the best to everyone during this difficult period. Try to enjoy the day, soak it up :)
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

dancinbee

Post by dancinbee » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Dear Mikel,
Thank you so much for your reflective and thoughtful tips. I have been interviewed before and have prepared well on some things and know what I need to reflect more about but I will have a good read of your script and see what more I can do ... Or what less I an do Miriam.

Warm wishes to all who are posting how they are getting on. I'm awaiting my green light and trying to remain hopeful. X

ClaireEmma

Post by ClaireEmma » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks for this, I was feeling more anxious than I anticipated, but this helps to put things into perspective! Best of luck to everyone with interviews/waiting for news.

purpledot

Interview Preparation (split 2)

Post by purpledot » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Thank you for such a detailed post, I will definitely be bookmarking this :)

happyfeet

Post by happyfeet » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:13 pm

Thank you so much - incredibly generous and helpful...

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:49 pm

Dancinbee, glad it is helpful, hope you have some success :)

ClaireEmma, my pleasure, all the best to you :)

Purpledot, hope it's useful for you! :)

happyfeet, thank you for your kind words, hope you have success :)
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life

ShrimpEyes

Post by ShrimpEyes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Brilliant post! Thank you for your contributions. Nice to hear someone speak about the application/interview process in such a relaxed and down to earth way - hopefully myself and others will be able to take a chilled leaf out of your book. Great to hear you saying good things about the Coventry course too :)

All the best with whatever you get up to next!

Shrimp Eyes

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi Shrimp Eyes,

Your name makes me think of the Forest Gump movies, everything is about shrimp :D

Thank you for your kind words, I am glad you have found it useful and I wish you all the best with your applications :)

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Excellent advice AB, I forgot about that :) As you say courses can differ in their ethos, so definitely good to know the course, their interview style and what it is all about :)

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing up your thoughts. Your advice is coherent, well written and just immensely helpful!

Also, while some of it is very specific to the doctoral training interview, I think your advice can be extended and applied to any kind of interview! I would imagine this post might even be of use to those who have already qualified, or for anyone about to have an interview, really. o:

Thanks again! (:
:cat: I like cats! :cat: