Response to interview advice thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Mikel Arteta

Re: Clinical Psychology Doctorate Interview Advice

Post by Mikel Arteta » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Mark,

Thank you for your kind words, glad you found it useful :) All the best with any applications you may be doing :)
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
gazdavies

Post by gazdavies » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:55 pm

Dear Mikel,
Thank you so much for this post. Still waiting on all my choices, so if I happen to strike gold and get any interviews I will use your words like a mini bible kind sir! :D
Gaz

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi Gaz,

Glad you have foud the advice useful :) Hope you have some success with your applications. All the best!
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life

bruoc

Interview Preparation (split 3)

Post by bruoc » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:35 pm

I have applied for the first time and got an interview for Newcastle and still waiting on Glasgow . It's really good advice as I am a conversion student so may not have as an in depth grounding in psychology although I do have a clinical training behind me but was really worried about the academic side of the interview so it will help me focus a bit more.

Nads

Post by Nads » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi Mikel,

Thanks for the post! Really helpful :). I was just wondering whether you or anyone else might be able to share their reflections about interviewing for the course? I know some people have done them about AP interviews but would be great to maybe do a 'day in the life of an interviewer' for the course from a previous year? Courses change their questions each year and courses have different formats for the interviews but was just thinking a general reflection piece without compromising course policy? Kind of like how Spatch does it? No worries if not though :)

astra

Post by astra » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:19 pm

[quote="Nads"]Hi Mikel,

Thanks for the post! Really helpful :). I was just wondering whether you or anyone else might be able to share their reflections about interviewing for the course? I know some people have done them about AP interviews but would be great to maybe do a 'day in the life of an interviewer' for the course from a previous year? Courses change their questions each year and courses have different formats for the interviews but was just thinking a general reflection piece without compromising course policy? Kind of like how Spatch does it? No worries if not though :)[/]

Pretty sure I've done reflections on interviewing in past years . Have a search you might find something.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

Nads

Post by Nads » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi,

That's great, thanks. Will have a search through the forum :). Might also have a look at Aspire as well :)

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Bruoc, I hope you have had some success with Newcastle :) All the best.

Hi Nads, hope you are having some success with your applications :) I have done group exercises at interview, but not main interviews (but may do next year), hope you were able to find what you needed.

Hi Dorothy, my pleasure. And of course you can add things, those references look great! I may check them out, if you have copies could you PM me, I wouldn't mind checking them out (just out of curiosity). Hope the process has been okay for you, all the best.

Nads

Post by Nads » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks, I have my interview at Staffs on the 12th May so it has been a long wait but I suppose that is a good thing as well! Yeah I have found some helpful advice on the forum. I am just wondering with the reference that have been put on this thread. Does anyone know how i can access them? I am not a BPS member so would that mean that I can't access them unless I am a member?

LizardQueen

Interview Preparation (split 4)

Post by LizardQueen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:02 pm

Great advice, thank you so much. This has helped me a great deal as I have just been shortlisted for the trent course.

reishi

Re: Advice for Writing of ClinPsy Doctorate Application

Post by reishi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks, this is one solid advice indeed!

lauracoote

Post by lauracoote » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi Mikiel

Thank you for your advice, it really is helpful. I am taking a different approach to last year, I got one interview, and totally over-prepared and was so nervous I could barely say my own name! This year I again have only one interview, but am going to relax and not look over things until maybe the week before and just focus on staying calm.

I had very harsh and unhelpful feedback from the course I interviewed with last year, so some anxieties have naturally been carried forward to this year. A particular confusion for me was a question asking about the application of any undergraduate psychological theory, I had not been expecting this and it really threw me and resulted in a juicy zero for my feedback for that question, with no written feedback explaining what they had been looking for. None of the theories I did at undergraduate level were applicable to clinical work. I understand knowing about one psychological model used in clinical work, but the need to know undergraduate theory still confuses me a year on! Do you have any advice or knowledge about what this type of question may be getting at? In my answer I had started talking about a model I had used in my job at the time, but was stopped and asked to answer with something else...I understand the forum rules mean we cant talk about specific theories, but in general, any advice re this would be really helpful.

Thank you

memifer

Post by memifer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:07 pm

The more time I spend on placement, the more I find myself drawing upon theories I learnt about at undergraduate level.

lauracoote

Interview Preparation (split 5)

Post by lauracoote » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Hi everyone

Thanks to those for your helpful suggestions and re-framing- I can see I have been thinking too literally, and need to think about this more simply. Anxiety and getting hung up on a fixed way of thinking about something! Great to take a step back and re think.

fotintent

Post by fotintent » Wed May 11, 2016 9:44 am

Hi Calliope,

I do agree with what you say about the importance of what you wear. But I also know that I was travelling the day before my interview and I had to stay over at a hotel the night before my interview. Unfortunately, I had the craziest of accidents. My make up spilled all over my suitcase and my interview clothes were ruined. I tried cleaning them but they did not dry on time. So, I just went to the interview with quite casual attire. On hindsight I should have mentioned what happened to my interviewers but I was quite anxious on the day trying to complete the interview tasks. I am second on the reserve list and I really do not believe what I was wearing is responsible for my result. Having reflected on my interview, I have thought of things I should have mentioned and a specific case that I talked about that I should have been more reflective.

What I am trying to say, very inarticulately, is that what I wore on the day was not a reflection of my character or my skills or even my desire to get on the course. Mine was a freak accident but I can think of other cases where what people wore was just the best they could. It is just worrying to think that what you wear will affect how you are judged as a scientist or a professional. By all means do your best to be presentable, but I think we need to be reflective about what the interview should really be aiming at identifying. That is my opinion and I do honestly understand where you are coming from. I just wanted to input my own perspective on the matter.