Courses with selection tests - no personal statement

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
teaplease

Courses with selection tests - no personal statement

Post by teaplease » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:03 am

Howdy! Just wondering if anyone knows offhand if there are any other courses like Lancaster where interview selection is just based on the tests and not on the personal statement? Felt that my personal statement let me down last year but did pretty well on the GMA (not well enough to get an interview but well enough to want to give it another go). Thanks!
P.s. I know I could check the Clearing House website but I get a bit of 'the fear' even looking at it yet.. :P

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
BenJMan

Re: Courses with selection tests - no personal statement

Post by BenJMan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:33 am

Surrey/Salomons are test based (though written, not GMA style like Lancs), similarly Stafford is also test based, i think a couple of other uni's are now as well but I can't remember them off the top of my head. The clearing house website has all that info on each course, worth just having a scan through the list :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Leicester and Birmingham also use selection tests. Plymouth piloted a GMA test this year, so you may see them use it to select next year.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:59 pm

I think Birmingham and Trent do versions of tests as does UEL

Royal Holloway doesn't do tests but apparently they don't look at your personal statement

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Those other courses mentioned above do use tests, but I wasn't aware that any of them (apart from Lancaster obviously) have openly said that they DON'T use the personal statement. I was under the impression that most of them used the application form along with the test score for shortlisting.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:59 pm

From Clearing House:

Birmingham
Following the written test, between 60 and 70 applicants will be invited for interview based on performance on the written test and the application form
East London
Each Clearing House application form is reviewed by Programme staff and/or local NHS clinical psychologists for the essential criteria above...and ratings are combined with scores on the online testing procedures and Two Ticks scheme notices, such that approximately 90 candidates are short-listed for interview.
Leicester
1. All applicants are screened to ensure minimum entry requirements are met.
2. Following this, the majority of applicants are invited to attend the University of Leicester to undertake a Computerised Screening Test.
3. The third stage involves the most successful candidates from the Computerised Screening Test being invited to attend an Assessment Centre, comprising a range of interactive tasks. Assessors are trained and comprise both members of the staff team and local clinical psychologists.
Staffordshire
The highest scoring [on the screening test] candidates will be invited to, or placed on a reserve list for, the second stage of our selection process (May 2016), subject to satisfactory references.
Surrey & Salomon's (same information is given for both)
Following the written test, an interview short-list is prepared by the Programme Team. This is primarily based upon written test scores.
Trent
Application forms and references will be rated and ranked by a short-listing panel...Those candidates who achieved the highest rankings at short-listing and who score above a predetermined threshold for this written exercise will be invited to attend the final selection interviews.
So it looks like the ones who shortlisted for interview based primarily/solely on screening test are Surrey, Salomon's, Staffs, and Leicester. Whereas the others use screening tests but in combination with score or rank from the application form.

Hope this helps :)

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:35 am

I guess it would be interesting to know which of those that do use the forms use just the factual data (e.g. type and length of experience) vs use more qualitative interpretation (e.g. evidence of suitability from the personal statement).
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

WindWhisperer

Post by WindWhisperer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:45 pm

firegal wrote:From Clearing House:

Surrey & Salomon's (same information is given for both)
Following the written test, an interview short-list is prepared by the Programme Team. This is primarily based upon written test scores.
I interviewed at Salomons four years ago, so it might well have changed since then... but I was actively told that interviewers had not read my application form at all prior to interview and that the tests were the main weighting for interview shortlisting rather than application. Have to say personally I felt a bit gutted having slaved over the form so much that the people in front of me at interview literally knew nothing about me! (Although I can imagine some people would prefer that!)

teaplease

Post by teaplease » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks you guys, that's really helpful! :)

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:48 am

last year I was not asked to sit the Leicester test due to my undergraduate degree grade. In fact, the Leicester had miscalculated my classification, but the experience indicates they do look at the application form, at least to confirm degree classification.

nlg

Post by nlg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:32 am

Randomswirls wrote: Royal Holloway doesn't do tests but apparently they don't look at your personal statement
Out of interest what do Royal Holloway look at?

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:18 pm

nlg wrote:
Randomswirls wrote: Royal Holloway doesn't do tests but apparently they don't look at your personal statement
Out of interest what do Royal Holloway look at?

My understanding was they looked at degree classification and further qualifications, research/publications etc and work experience. I would imagine the same is true of many places (not all) as receiving hundreds of applications to sort through must be a big task. The above might whittle out some people

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:22 pm

When I went to a talk they said they looked at all the tangible parts of the form so academics, references, publications etc

RhubarbCrumble

Post by RhubarbCrumble » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:55 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of test Leicester use? E.g. GMA/stats/scenario-based?

LearnLiveDream

Post by LearnLiveDream » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:31 am

I would just add that at my Surrey interview interviewees were told that selection after interview was made based both on interview and on the selection test score, whereas Salomons uses the selection test to select for interview then bases decision on selection of trainees solely on interview. Neither use the application form other than to screen for basic requirements.