Courses with selection tests - no personal statement

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
NatJ

Re: Courses with selection tests - no personal statement

Post by NatJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:02 pm

Not sure if this is useful but Cardiff are having a selection test this year and interviewing based on results.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
RhubarbCrumble

Post by RhubarbCrumble » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 pm

^ do you know if they are using just the test, or test and application form? I can't find this information anywhere...

clinpsymember

Post by clinpsymember » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 am

NatJ wrote:Not sure if this is useful but Cardiff are having a selection test this year and interviewing based on results.
Do you know what kind of test they are doing? I wanted to apply to Cardiff, but now I am unsure! Thanks a lot

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:06 am

General mental ability testing consisting of the verbal and numerical subtests - the same as Lancaster and Plymouth.

msc22

Post by msc22 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:36 pm

NatJ,

Where did you get this information from ? It doesn't say on the Clearing House website that the Cardiff course is going to use the GMA tests are part of the short-listing process. I am confused now..... :?

SamH

Post by SamH » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Does anyone have any further information on this? I assume it will be online, like Lancaster?

I've applied to Cardiff (as well as Lancaster and Salomons) So I'd like to prepare all my test dates in advance :wink: :shock: :?

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:15 pm

They are the same tests as Lancaster and Plymouth. If you have applied to more than one of those three programmes, you will only need to do the tests once (with whichever programme you've applied to does them first - I believe this will be South Wales earliest and then Plymouth and Lancaster but this will be confirmed in the New Year).

The Lancaster screening window dates are on our website of course.

clinpsymember

Post by clinpsymember » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:51 am

Hi RJParker

Could I ask if you know whether Cardiff will also have a 2 week window to complete the test? Lancaster are very good at putting up the information early, but I have applied to both Cardiff and Lancaster and as I understand it I would therefore take the test during the earliest window, which we do not know when would be yet.

Thanks so much.

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:09 am

I don't have confirmation of the South Wales dates I'm afraid. You'd be best contacting them directly.

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:49 pm

South Wales confirmed with me today that their screening test window will be the 6th Feb - 20th Feb.

FunkyB

Post by FunkyB » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Hiya,

Sorry if this has already been asked before, but I cant seem to find anything using search. Are we able to use calculators/ make hand calculations during the numerical reasoning test? (I've never done one before and want to get in as much practice as I can!)

Thanks in advance!

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Yes, you can use calculators. These are not testing your ability to do mathematical calculations as such - they are looking at the ability to understand how to transform numerical data and use it with hypotheses (just like you'll be doing with quantitative data!).

You'll also need some paper and a pen to make notes. This is all explained on the practise questions and the actual testing system before you start. If you're invited to interview, you can bring your calculator with you or use one provided by the programme for the verification tests.

FunkyB

Post by FunkyB » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Thank you very much for your response. That's certainly a game changer!I must have overlooked those instructions during my panicked and, perhaps unsurprisingly, brief attempt at a practice test previously! Found it immensely difficult without a calculator and closed my browser pretty sharpish... Oops!

SamH

Post by SamH » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks RJParker for letting us know about the South Wales dates. That brings things forward a little (need to up the practice game! :lol: )