DClinPsy 2017

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Shmit

DClinPsy 2017

Post by Shmit » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:36 am

So I've been extra keen and just checked the leeds clearing house website (which has had a big re-haul and looks more fancy!).

This is now included about the funding part:

''Updated on 01 September 2016:

These arrangements may be amended for candidates entering training in 2017, but this is unclear at this stage. Should we receive further information, we will update this page. In the meantime, the Clearing House will process applications as usual. There will be no extensions to deadlines so please do not wait for further information about the funding situation before deciding whether to apply.

Please note that the Clearing House plays no role in the funding arrangements for clinical psychology training. Individual course centres will provide details about the funding arrangements for their programme when an offer of a place is made.''

Lets see how this unravels over the next few months, but I find it quite un-nerving that you may apply with one set of information, and this may change at a later date.

dk00112

Re: DClinPsy 2017

Post by dk00112 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 am

I had heard rumours about this happening, so although I'm not surprised, I had hoped they would have reached a definitive decision before applications opened!

SuzC

Post by SuzC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:28 am

This does not fill me with confidence. Obviously, it could go a number of ways, and trying to avoid catastrophising, but one does wonder what will happen. Thank you for bringing it to our attention at least.

mungle

Post by mungle » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:47 pm

This must be really scary for anyone pre-training. It's so hard with all the uncertainty and especially after all the years and investment already made towards this goal.

All I can offer is that I heard the same thing in 2011 and thankfully it hasn't happened yet. May the NHS juggernaut take a long time on this issue!!

If/when it changes, it may be to PhD-style bursaries and although not as good, all may not be lost.

Hang in there everyone.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:32 am

I had a quick look at a couple of courses and I don't see any of them mentioning how many places they're offering, I guess as a result of the uncertainty. Frustrating if you're someone who wants to apply based on ratios.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:42 am

Maybe things will become clearer before the start of December? As far as I know there hasn't been a government wide announcement so hopefully it won't mean drastic changes.

As an aside how fast is this year going?

hearspeaklisten

Post by hearspeaklisten » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:55 am

Randomswirls wrote:Maybe things will become clearer before the start of December? As far as I know there hasn't been a government wide announcement so hopefully it won't mean drastic changes.

As an aside how fast is this year going?
I hear you Randomswirls!

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:47 am

My understanding from HEE is that 2017 entry is going to be unaffected.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Comprehensive Spending Review it was announced that from September 2017 future central bursary funding for all new healthcare profession students would cease and be replaced by the Student Loans System for tuition and maintenance support loans. Thus, students training as nurses and allied health professions will no longer be funded by Health Education England, but in a similar manner to all other students at university, through loans. The implication of this for clinical psychology salaried trainees at this stage remains somewhat unclear, but is under threat.
This was in this month's CP Forum: Training and staff retention: National issues and findings from Salomons training programme by Tony Lavender & Sophie Chatfield

Clearing house are likely to write it on their website to cover their/courses back in case any change in funding did suddenly happen. Don't forget how long the application process is - a year from start of application to start of course - so a lot can happen in that time. I personally doubt anything will happen this coming year but as the quote suggests it is very uncertain to the future of funding. Will it end up using a students loans system? I hope not but I don't trust this government!