Easier route to clinical psychology?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
sarahsundar

Easier route to clinical psychology?

Post by sarahsundar » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Hey everyone!

This is my first post and I am new to this forum. I am a third year BSc psychology student.
Just wanted to know is there any easier route to clinical psychology? So far I have heard getting into the doctorate programme takes many years of working for under paid job and even then a lot of people give up since they have applied many times and got rejected. Therefore, I am starting to rethink my career options even though I really enjoy the clinical perspective of psychology and I really want to do the doctorate.
Does everyone end up with no jobs after undergraduate? And if people do get jobs, what kind of jobs they get into, etc, AP, RA?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ClaireEmma

Re: Easier route to clinical psychology?

Post by ClaireEmma » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:10 pm

If you look in the wiki section (at the top of the page) there's lots of information about the process of getting a place on the doctorate. There's also a few threads about what experience people had and how many years they worked for before getting a place, I think those are in this section of the forum. Generally speaking it's very difficult to get an AP post straight after graduation. I think most people work as support workers or other similar roles first. There's also other routes like IAPT.

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:13 pm

Sarah, there's a reason for why it takes so many years. During the doctorate you're a paid band 6 clinician, learning new therapeutic models, completing complex clinical work and a number of difficult doctorate level assignments. To cope with this you need a lot of academic and clinical experience as if you don't have it, you may sink.

The more experience the better in my view.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

Peach

Post by Peach » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:09 pm

I'd contrast what Mikel said and say quality trumps quantity everytime.
Make good use of the information on this forum to find out what kind of jobs to be aiming for and how to get them. and make the most of them. But most importantly start developing an awareness if you haven't already of the wider context within which psychologists work, so be aware of NHS issues, sociopolitical context and implications for mental health and clinical psychology.

The path to being a clinical psychologist is not always long and arduous and full of poorly paid jobs, although this is the reality for some, there are also many others who have a more straight forward journey.
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:04 pm

If you are looking for an easier route and having doubts already, I wouldn't recommend clinical psychology as a career. This advice is to be kind not cruel - look at other options.

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Alex wrote:If you are looking for an easier route and having doubts already, I wouldn't recommend clinical psychology as a career. This advice is to be kind not cruel - look at other options.
+1

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Just wanted to know is there any easier route to clinical psychology?
I think its a valid point, and one of the consistent themes of under represented groups are the barriers and uncertainties of the pathway. For me the, "if you can't hack the competition it's not for you" line isn't the full story, and while experience and ability is helpful, there I think it contributes to a sense of masochism and myth building.

While no route is a sure thing, one thing that is frequently overlooked that greatly reduces the competition are self-funding options. Those can be self-funded clinical psychology training courses or counselling psychology courses etc. These are often not discussed (for a variety of reasons), but can offer a greater degree of certainty for some- who often come from overseas or late career changers, or other marginalised groups.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Spatch,

I don't know much about the self-funded courses, but surely people would need to meet certain criteria? And are these in addition to the usual places? It'd be interesting to see how many applicants per place there is for the self-funded route and the experiences they have.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

reishi

Post by reishi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:50 pm

I'm afraid it's not as easy as one can hope. In addition to all basic requirements, self-funded applicants also face the same rigorous selection process.
Applications and places for self-funded course centres - 2016 entry
Applications Places Course Centres
38 1 Coventry and Warwick - self-funded
40 3 East Anglia - self-funded
39 1 Essex - self-funded
40 2 Leicester - self-funded
45 1 Manchester - self-funded
41 2 Newcastle - self-funded
34 2 Plymouth - self-funded
Source: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/numbers2016.html

According to last year's stats, the best ratio was offered by EA with a %7,5 chance to get on, whereas on NHS funded places this is %7. It is more or less the same actually. I think self-funded applicants are only better off at applying more than 4 courses (all CH ones as well as unis that require direct applications). However, requirement of driving and car owning in most of the courses reduces the options in practice (at least for me).

One limitation to above stats is that we don't have data from courses that gets direct applications such as KCL and UCL. However, I was told at KCL meeting that KCL received 95 candidates last year for 5 places. It is still bad ratio I'm afraid :cry:
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Also, I think many of the universities actively recruit international students for the self-funded places, to strengthen links with other countries in a mutually beneficial way. I wonder if EU students applying for a self-funded place may be disadvantaged in that regard.

Our self-funded trainees are extremely highly qualified, and went through a rigorous application process. They would have stood with the best of applicants if they could have applied for funded places, so it's definitely not an easier process for clinical training.

That being said, I don't know what it's like for other specialties. I know of someone who got a self-funded place on a forensic psychology doctorate relatively easily - certainly in comparison to clinical.