Academic Reference

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
BrandNew

Academic Reference

Post by BrandNew » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi All,

I am having some difficulties getting an academic reference as my undergrad personal tutor who usually provides my reference is on maternity leave.

Has anyone been in a similar position before? I would really appreciate if anyone could offer any suggestions, should I try and ask another tutor who I haven't been in touch with for 4 years or should I use a previous clinical supervisor?

Thanks!!

BrandNew

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ebeck

Re: Academic Reference

Post by ebeck » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:24 pm

Hiya

Same happened to me - exactly that issue. I asked a different tutor from uni instead who knew me a bit. I am guessing she will have pulled down my old transcript, read through a bit of my work to jog her memory. I don't think you can use a clinical supervisor, the questions really are about your academic abilities. It must be fairly normal for people to have to do this without having worked with you for a few years. Could you maybe pick one with whom you worked on a specific piece of work, or just got on well with?

Good luck!

Shmit

Post by Shmit » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:35 pm

I'm currently in the same position! I'm trying to use a previous supervisor for when I completed research in an AP post, however he's quite hard to get hold of (although he has agreed).

Other than that I've tried to uni too, but also found this quite tricky to get hold of somebody.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:07 pm

I was in the situation where my uni tutor coul remember me but not my academics so I had to find a new one and asked a supervisor who I worked with in a research setting and gave her my academic transcript etc.

I would check with whoever you ask that they feel they can comment as I went to a talk by ucl where the tutor said they had lots of great applicants who were let down by there academic reference clearly not knowing/caring/insert other and thus giving very bland references.

TunngWithWhiskey

Post by TunngWithWhiskey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm facing the same problem with my application. The tutor who supervised my MSc research project is not available.
Do you think I could ask one of the tutors I had on my PWP course, which was more recent than my MSc (I'm a PWP).

Thanks in advance for your help!

M