How to Apply As A NonEU Student? A Personal Account & Advice

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
reishi

How to Apply As A NonEU Student? A Personal Account & Advice

Post by reishi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:11 am

I have always wanted to do clinical psychology training in the UK since I was a high school student. It was a long shot dream, but hey, a teenager allowed to have fantasies, eh? Obviously at that time, I didn't know this process is hell. I was just looking at nicely designed uni brochures and picking out schools. LoL.

After I sorted out my degree, I looked into UK courses seriously. Then I realised how competitive it is. And it has its own application procedure. Also, to my dismay, I learnt that non-eu candidates aren't allowed on the courses at all. Well, not not at all. You can get on some courses. Only if you are filthy rich.

In short, when you study the course, you also work for NHS. So, they ask you to have a right to work in the UK without restriction. If you don't, you can only apply self-funded places and have to pay for your tuition (changes between 25k to 35k per annum). Also, not all courses have self-funded places. At the moment, there are only 12 courses in the UK which considers self-funded international applicants. You can find them on Clearing House website: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/internationalfunding.html

6 of them (East Anglia, Hertfordshire, Leicester, Manchester, Newcastle, Plymouth) take applications on Clearing House. And, lucky us, we can apply all six of them at the same time :wink: You have to pay 25 pounds for this application (for all, not for each). The other half (Birmingham, UCL, KCL-IoPPN, Essex, Sheffield, Salomons) requires you to fill out their application forms on their own system. But look through their websites carefully, they can demand separate forms to be filled out in addition to online form. UCL and Sheffield have these kind of forms (basically, they are a derivative of clearing house application. so, do Clearing House first), and KCL asks you to write a specific kind of personal statement, which again, includes the same questions on CH. UCL and Sheffield don't demand application fees, don't know about the remaining ones. Also, KCL, Birmingham and Essex have another timeline for self-funding students, so you can apply a bit later. But with the others, you should follow CH deadlines.

So, if you are certain you want to do this. What should you do first?

1) Apply British Psychological Society (BPS) for Graduate Basis For Chartered Membership (GBC)

Also get used to this abbreviation frenzy. I used to have a word page to write down all the abbreviations I come across with on the forum and looked them up on the internet to see what they actually refer to

This is basically your degree getting evaluated. You can find more info here: http://www.bps.org.uk/what-we-do/member ... mber-mbpss. You have to apply for the membership and for the evaluation at the same time. This costs quite a lot of money (£134 for annual membership+£21 for application for 2017). But if 3 years haven't passed since your graduation, you can apply for a discounted price (£67 for annual membership. no reduction on app fee. for 2017). Do it. I did it :mrgreen:
I think you should do this first and foremost. Because if your degree isn't eligible for GBC, then you're out. It is better to find this out at the very beginning. There might be some examination to gain this status but I'm not really sure. You should ask this to BPS. Or alternatively, do a conversion Master's course to get GBC.
Btw, when I applied for it, I also added my "diploma supplement" in addition to my transcript. If you studied your degree in a EU or EU candidate country, your uni most probably can give you one of these, so an examiner from another country can make sense of your degree.

2) Be Sure You Meet the Minimum Criteria
Grades: 2:1 minimum. I use fulbright GPA-UK grading system conversion. Which you can find here: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/pre-departu ... mics/marks. Though some courses might use different conversion system. Always ask before applying.

Relevant Experience: You must have worked in a setting where you were able to contact clinical populations and/or their carers. This can be a research setting, hospital, some other institution. Also, you have to have a psychologist supervisor who can comment on your work there. And they have to provide you a reference using their institutional email address (for CH and UCL). 1 year experience minimum. If you have 2, you meet the minimum criteria on relevant experience of all the self-funded courses.

English: If you get at least 7.5 in all components, you meet the minimum criteria of all self-funded courses. Majority accepts lower bands, but not below 6.5.

3) Get a Frikkin Scholarship

Because it's impossible to fund it on your own if you aren't, well, rich. I mean, really rich. Like Richie Rich rich. It's £35k for a year, gosh. And no, courses don't offer any scholarship for international students on this course. They want your money. Start looking out for scholarships way beforehand, fill out their applications because it can take time. Be sure that they cover all of the tuition fees, not all sponsors do that. If they only pay towards your tuition partially, make sure you can cover the remaining. I accepted my very demanding scholarship after realising there aren't many sponsors out there dying to pay for all school fees. It is very hard to find one. So if you do, just grab it. You can think about the outcomes after you finish your clinical training :mrgreen:

4) Optional: Do a Masters in the UK

If you haven't studied in the UK, or worked at NHS before, do a master's that enables you to do a placement in NHS settings, with a clinical psychologist supervisor if it's possible. You don't have to finish it in the application process, but you must finish it before you start doctoral training. Also, make sure your dissertation is a clinical one. Better if you do data collection as well.
If you don't have GBC through your undergrad degree, you must do a conversion master's course.
Masters are tend to be cheaper in comparison with doctorates, still, try to get a scholarship for that, too :D

5) Start Filling out Your Application Form. And Contact Your Referees.
If you're applying through clearing house, your referees has to fill out their form on ch system. You can't upload scanned copies yourself. You can find blank forms on CH and send them beforehand so they would have an idea.
So, to be clear, you can apply all 6 courses via CH, and you can also apply the other 6 courses that requires direct applications on their websites. You can apply all 12 of them at the same year. It's possible. If you're desperate to get in, you can do that. But don't accept an offer before you hear from others. It's the same with UK-EU students. If you accept an offer, then you're done. You can only attend that course. Don't be hasty.

6) Read a lot of ClinPsy for Tips. Read Clinical Psychology Books that Written in the UK if You Haven't Already.
They give you a lot regarding process and clinical psychology settings in the UK. I personally rummaged the forum, bookmarked useful (and hilarious) topics, and read them again while writing my personal statements.

7) Continue Filling out Your Application Form.

8) Cry on Your Application Form.
You can read Spatch's book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Exp ... B00EQFE5JW. Just download it on your kindle or laptop. It really helped me to procrastinate :lol:

9) Proofread Your Application Form!
And ask help from others. If you have a native speaker friend, definitely ask them. You can buy them a coffee or something later. If you aren't acquainted with one, ask someone who has a very good command in English. If you don't know any English speakers at all, even as a second language, just ask someone who can understand what you have written. They can just point out incoherent content, or some small mistakes you overlooked.

10) Ask Advice on Your Application Form!
If you have ties here in the UK, use them! I don't know any CPs here, so I just asked my tutor and a lecturer, a psychotherapist and a counselling psychologist respectively. They were very helpful and have given very valuable advice. I still think my form is not brilliant, but I think it's not completely rubbish. Well, I'm gonna see the outcome in February :bounce:

11) Just Submit the Darn Thing!

Now, you're free. Go study for your masters while waiting to hear from the course centres :lol:

to be updated throughout this year's application process

Things I'm Also Gonna Mention: OHC and DBS
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Spatch

Re: How to Apply As A NonEU Student? A Personal Account & Ad

Post by Spatch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:07 pm

I had thought my powers of time wasting were restricted to the UK, but am glad to see I have been facilitating procrastination across the globe. I fear this may be my lasting contribution to clinical psychology.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

reishi

Post by reishi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Spatch wrote:I had thought my powers of time wasting were restricted to the UK, but am glad to see I have been facilitating procrastination across the globe. I fear this may be my lasting contribution to clinical psychology.
Well, at least I amazed my flatmate by finding a very specific book to procrastinate instead of writing my app form :D I think it's a very honourable contribution in the end :oops:

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:21 am

I'm voting for this post to be wikified. Any other opinions?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

astra

Post by astra » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Agreed. It's a topic that people ask about quite a bit and none of us have the up to date info on it.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

reishi

Post by reishi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:06 pm

maven wrote:I'm voting for this post to be wikified. Any other opinions?
astra wrote:Agreed. It's a topic that people ask about quite a bit and none of us have the up to date info on it.
I would be honoured if you make this post a wiki. That would mean I can give something to this forum which helped me tremendously. However, please edit my writing keeping in mind that English is not my native language :)

----------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

1) Apparently, when you are a self-funding applicant, courses don't invite you to selection tests. One of them (I decided to not to name course centres when I'm giving info regarding my own applications before the process is finalised) sent me neither an invitation nor a rejection for pre-screening tests, and clarified the issue pointing out that self-funding students are not required to take these tests.

2) As early as it is, I got an interview offer :mrgreen: I was over moon today. It's from one of the courses who takes direct entries, not through Clearing House. Their normal interview dates are much later than what they offered me, I guess they want to deal with self-funding ones before going into the big business. But that doesn't necessarily mean every other course works that way, for example Birmingham takes care of internationals after home process is done.