Applying to Bath

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
FLCx

Applying to Bath

Post by FLCx » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Hi there, I was wondering whether anybody could share their knowledge/experience of the Bath course in terms of their shortlisting. I have a high 2:1 and got three As at A Level and have over a years experience as an AP and a RA in the NHS, however as I do not have a 1st or a masters/PhD I am worried that I would not get anywhere near the threshold for looking at my application or getting an interview. I would love to apply to Bath but I don't want to waste a choice if I have no hope in getting an interview. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ChinChinar

Re: Applying to Bath

Post by ChinChinar » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:40 pm

FLCx, I feel like you have misinterpreted the criteria for Bath - there is no where that indicates that if you do not have a 1st or masters, you would not be shortlisted.

There is a marking criteria of what they look for floating around online, but it might be out of date.

see below:
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/Clin02Bath.html

Entry Requirements

The programme seeks to recruit trainees who show evidence of a commitment to the core principles of clinical psychology and the specific ethos and philosophy of the Bath course.

Essential criteria
Academic requirements

All candidates must have:

Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) from the British Psychological Society (BPS). Candidates from non-GBC accredited courses need to apply themselves for GBC.
Either a 1st or 2:1 in an undergraduate psychology degree or an undergraduate degree in another subject with a Masters level conversion course with either merit or distinction.
Appropriate research experience, in addition to an undergraduate project, such as an MSc, PhD or other relevant research or service audit or evaluation experience.
Please note:

Applicants with a 2:2 or below in an undergraduate psychology programme will not be considered, even if they have obtained further qualifications in Psychology at the required level.
Degree classifications for subjects other than psychology are not considered as part of the selection process.

PGDip conversion courses are only accepted where an applicant with an undergraduate degree including modules in psychology has taken a conversion course to achieve GBC. Candidates must still have a 1st or 2:1 in their undergraduate psychology degree. No score will be allocated to the PGDip.
Candidates in the final year of an undergraduate degree or conversion course may apply provided that they meet the other essential criteria, but should note that any offer of a place will be conditional upon achievement of the relevant academic requirements before the course start date.
Hope that is helpful

FLCx

Post by FLCx » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:01 pm

Hey! Thank you for your reply! I read somewhere that they have a cut off point in terms of the point you have on their scoring system and that they only look at the forms that reach this point. I was concerned because you do not get any points for a 2:1 on Bath's scoring system, which means I only score for my A Levels. I know they don't disclose what their cut off score is but I feel that it would be silly for me to apply there if I have no hope in reaching their cut off score. Any help would be really appreciated.

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi, I applied to Bath a couple years ago, and the fact I didn't have A-levels (I did secondary school outside of UK) meant I got penalised in the points system (despite a 1st and master's, and a couple years experience). Based on that, I would never try again! Your situation is different, so can't be sure, but in your shoes, I would avoid!

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:32 pm

I don't know what the cut-off score for Bath is, but they certainly place a high value on academic success. This may be helpful: http://www.bath.ac.uk/psychology/clinic ... rocess.pdf

You would score 25/50 points, by the looks of it. I'm really just guessing, but I think anyone applying without a 1st would be at a disadvantage. You get 15 points for that alone, but nothing for a 2:1 or lower.

Going on what ChinChinar posted, in combination with the above, I wouldn't qualify for an interview with Bath, despite a 2:1 in a science degree, a 1:1 in a PGDip conversion course, and a Masters. I went to secondary school outside of the UK, so my school exams were totally different and don't map well onto A-Level results, and I would receive no points for either my undergraduate degree, as it was a 2:1, nor my PGDip as they just refuse to count that.

It looks like, unless you fall within a very specific, very high-scoring academic range, you may be at a disadvantage immediately.