Completion of Masters thesis before applying

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
stratfmg

Completion of Masters thesis before applying

Post by stratfmg » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of applying for the Doctorate but am a little worried about the statement 'Applicants who are in the processing of completing a Masters degree or a PhD must have submitted their thesis by the time of application to evidence that they will have completed prior to starting on the Programme'...I am currently on the Msc Clinical Applications of Psychology at Warwick and obviously won't have completed it (if I come out alive!) until July 2017...Any ideas why it says your thesis needs to be submitted before you apply because I obviously won't be submitting it until June ish!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
scott54

Re: Completion of Masters thesis before applying

Post by scott54 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi stratfmg,

Which uni's are you looking at that have this criteria?

Leeds for example state 'If you have any outstanding requirements from another programme when the clinical course starts, you may be required to withdraw from that programme in order to take up a place or to continue your studies on the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology Programme'.

Which I'm interpreting as, MSc or PHD commitments must be completed before you can start the doctorate I.e. September/October. I think the reason here is that students cannot be enrolled at two universities at the same time.

Your MSc shouldn't effect your eligibility to apply, in this case, as I'd assume you already have already completed the undergrad conferring GBC.

Good luck with your application.

Scott

stratfmg

Re: Completion of Masters thesis before applying

Post by stratfmg » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Scott

Thank you for your reply! It was East Anglia and Bangor who had stipulated that Msc/Phd students need to have submitted their thesis before applying. It just worried me a little as, like you say, other courses just require completion by enrolment not application. I'll give them a ring and clarify.

Thanks again
Megan