Birmingham Written Test

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
maryse1271

Re: Birmingham Written Test

Post by maryse1271 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:59 pm

To Cassie and Esuma

I assumed it was just under an hour, until after i had tried to answer the first question and realised i had 30 minutes left to answer the other 3! I was planning to go back to my first answer but couldnt even finish the last.
Completely my fault as i should have kept my eye on the time.

I just hate the time pressure, i just panic and become confuzzled!!

Well, lets just hope for the best, keep our fingers crossed and if its a no then we've got the experience under our belts to do better next year....Well if i apply next year!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:52 pm

That’s so true - I know the whole ‘read the question thoroughly’ is an obvious for exams but honestly with this one the time pressure was immense and that panic really does set in - for two questions I really messed up as I started giving lots of answers before reading the ‘pick three’ again, stupid mistake but easily done! I think once I’ve licked my wounds I’ll be able to reflect on the process more but currently I feel a little down and ‘chewed up and spat out’. I was aware of what the process is and had ‘been through it’ in terms of following the process on here but despite that I’ve found it much harder than expected. It’s easy to see how people become disillusioned. Once this whole thing is done it’s time for some much needed self care!

AryaStark

Post by AryaStark » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:45 pm

I felt completely the same! The time pressure got to me and after the exam all I could think of was "I should have said this that was soon obvious how did I miss it!?". I know that seeing the timer and having the frantic typing around me really impacted my performance. Completely my fault, I'm now questioning whether I even read the questions properly! And I definitely put more than three answers for at least one of the questions in my blind panic.
Oh well, it's something to learn from and was my first ever selection test. Thinking it's going to definitely be a no.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
-Max Ehrmann,"Desiderata"

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Maybe we were all frantically typing a load of rubbish then :lol: I actually had a cry after the exam I felt so awful! But as you say it’s an ‘experience’ if nothing else we can learn from. I had a point in my head I couldn’t get down in writing then the minute the time was up I suddenly realised what it was :shock: So typical!

Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd feed back on how I found it too after reading your comments. I came out and the first thing I said to my friend when she called me was 'I never knew touch typing was a skill I needed to train as a psychologist!'. It took me a good three minutes of time at the start to concentrate with all the typing noise around me and process the information before even reading the first question. I ended up having to come back to Q1 at the end, and was typing another point I had missed for it, and the test ended mid sentence haha. So that will be punctuation and grammar marks lost too :/ I didnt have time to read over my answers at the end. It was tough. Surprisingly I felt quite calm through out it though, even when I couldnt concentrate at the start. At least it's done :)

I have the lancaster test to do too, and i'm more anxious about that. I find the numerical reasoning test so tricky, and its hard to get lots of practice in as a full time working mum (to a very active five year old boy) whilst also studying at the moment too. But at the end of the day, all you can do is your best at the time and wait and see :)

Best of luck to you all x

flowergirl

Post by flowergirl » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:18 pm

I also found the whole experience very anxiety provoking. Sat in that room with everyone typing. I was the last to start due to being so distracted by everyone typing and therefore the last to finish! The time pressure was the worst I’ve ever felt with all those questions, then questions within questions for only 40minutes. Very difficult. And when I reflect it’s that pressure that was actually the most challenging for me which obviously effects my performance on the test. There’s always next year...a whole year to practice typing at super speed haha
Well done all!
:-)

ell

Post by ell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 am

Bear in mind it will be the good things you write that you get marks for, not the sheer quantity of what you've written! And that applies once you get into training!

I'm sure you'll have done better than you think you did. But there's nothing you can do about it now, so look after yourselves and do something fun this weekend if you can. Best of luck!

maryse1271

Post by maryse1271 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:32 am

Well, at least we're all not alone!

Esuma- dont worry, I cried pretty much all of Sunday! I think it was the come down from the adrenaline etc.

Hummingbird-I also have the Lancaster test, but I already feel defeated. Maths is not at ALL my strong point and I am definitely not scoring above 70% on the verbal reasoning, despite the practice.

What I will say to everyone is that you should be proud of yourself for not only getting to this stage, but going ahead and actually completing these trying assessments. Its a tough process but we're doing it gosh darn it!

Good luck to you all, I truly mean that. Remember to be kind to yourself throughout all of this.

Maryse