Queen's- understanding of psychological knowledge and skills

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
teaplease

Queen's- understanding of psychological knowledge and skills

Post by teaplease » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi guys,
I am really struggling with one of the sections of my application to Queen's: Use and understanding of psychological knowledge and skills. I'm not looking for a specific answer, but just generally, I'm wondering how might I approach this? I'm not even sure what they're referring to. Might they mean diagnoses, or psychometric tests, or theories...? I'm confused and at the end of my tether with all the applications. My brain has turned to mush haha. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Obviously I'm not looking for anyone to write it for me, but I'd be really grateful to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Spatch

Re: Queen's- understanding of psychological knowledge and sk

Post by Spatch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 am

It may be more meaningful if you reflect on an instance where you applied psychological theory or knowledge to a particular problem. Or if you think about the various approaches psychologists take in their work and what they draw on. I accept this is harder if you have had less direct contact with working psychologists, but its always worth talking to qualifieds about how they make theory practice links.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

astra

Re: Queen's- understanding of psychological knowledge and sk

Post by astra » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:36 pm

I guess what they're after is some indication that you know how the psychology you learnt at undergrad relates to clinical work. An example of this might be thinking about a theory from developmental psychology and thinking about how that relates to clinical work with children. I'm being deliberately vague as you really need to come up with your own ideas here. As Spatch says, it's harder if you haven't had much direct clinical experience, and that's why most courses emphasise clinical experience as being highly important, as it helps you make those links.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn