The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
hs577

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Post by hs577 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Leeds
Manchester
Oxford
Teesside

Best of luck everyone, especially those on reserve lists and all the reds for their next steps. I could still be in the same position next year as not the best at interviews. I've had interviews with Teesside and Manchester in the past (and got reserve place at Manchester before so it show's the changes year on year as never got an interview with them since) :s

swetherhill

The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Post by swetherhill » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Best of luck everyone as the deadline draws nearer!

May last course got back to me today (Teeside) with an invite to interview so alls not lost of your still waiting! I'm still in shock! Anyone with experience of Teeside interviews is welcome to help me pull round! Thinking about the rest of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockeygirl

Post by Hockeygirl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:53 pm

I really wasn't sure if I should post or not, I've been largely avoiding the forum this year as I felt a little stressed with it last year.

Leeds (withdrew, couldn't attend the interview)
Newcastle (declined)
Teesside (ended 1st reserve)
Manchester

Newcastle (declined)
Teesside (ended top of the reserves again)
Leeds
Sheffield

Teesside
Leeds
Manchester
Newcastle (ended.... you guessed it, top of the reserves!!)

Lancaster (I completely BOMBED the numerical reasoning)
Leeds
Teesside
Newcastle

I have 7 years experience as both an AP and an RA, I have several publications, and I've worked in Adult, Older Adults and CAMHS... But I'm really bad at interviews. This year I took a more relaxed approach and this seems to have been reflected somehow in my application.

Bobgirl

Post by Bobgirl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Hockeygirl wrote:I really wasn't sure if I should post or not, I've been largely avoiding the forum this year as I felt a little stressed with it last year.

Leeds (withdrew, couldn't attend the interview)
Newcastle (declined)
Teesside (ended 1st reserve)
Manchester

Newcastle (declined)
Teesside (ended top of the reserves again)
Leeds
Sheffield

Teesside
Leeds
Manchester
Newcastle (ended.... you guessed it, top of the reserves!!)

Lancaster (I completely BOMBED the numerical reasoning)
Leeds
Teesside
Newcastle

I have 7 years experience as both an AP and an RA, I have several publications, and I've worked in Adult, Older Adults and CAMHS... But I'm really bad at interviews. This year I took a more relaxed approach and this seems to have been reflected somehow in my application.
Yeah Hockeygirl!! So pleased to see your greens. You were one ahead of me in the reserves in 2014 so I still remember our constant checking of the reserve list! Glad you are feeling more relaxed this year and less stressed. x

DreamLoudAndInColour

Post by DreamLoudAndInColour » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Lancaster
Bath
Cov & Warwick
Newcastle

oc93

Post by oc93 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 pm

1st time applicant, wasn't ready but learnt a lot!

Surrey
RHUL
UCL
Salomons

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Go hockeygirl!

Hockeygirl

Post by Hockeygirl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks BobGirl and Random!

I'm trying to remain as calm as I have been up until this point! This year is definitely the year where I have realised there is more to life than the doctorate and have been thinking about my back ups! Hopefully I can convey that better in my interviews this year.

jlb36

Post by jlb36 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Royal Holloway
Oxford
Bath :shock: :shock: :shock:

Had almost convinced myself this year was just not meant to be!

Still waiting on Coventry and Warwick, only a few more days to go.
Congratulations to all the greens and hugs to all the reds!

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:30 pm

2nd time applicant...

Oxford
RHUL
UEL
IOPPN

^ IOPPN by email about an hour ago.

Very happy with my lot. Thinking of you all still waiting, and wishing you luck regardless of the outcome. :)

Flinn

Post by Flinn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Have Bath emailed or sent a letter? I have nothing! Clearing house site hasn't changed either, ahh!

lemondrizzle

Post by lemondrizzle » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:40 pm

Royal Holloway
UCL
UEL
IOPPN

As a first time applicant, I'm pleased to have been at least given a chance! Good luck to everyone. :-D
Last edited by lemondrizzle on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chachar

Post by Chachar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:40 pm

2nd time applicant!

Manchester
Staffordshire
Bangor
Birmingham

Fingers (and toes!) crossed for Manc and for a shift in the reserve list for Staffs!!

penguin

Post by penguin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 pm

emma2017 wrote:Lancaster
Leicester
Leeds
Sheffield

Feeling very upset although I did realise my experience is not very strong, which is why I was hoping that courses with selection tests would work in my favour. The numerical however just threw me despite trying hard to prep and practice.
It is my first year applying but I am in my late 30s and with graduating 10 years ago as a mature student and now having children and mortgage and still having limited opportunities to get that right work experience I am not sure right now if it is worth trying again. I know that everyone who has got an interview deserves it and wants it as badly as me - its not like someone pips you for a job and you think you could do better. There has to be a cut off point and I just didn't get over the line. What is hard is that I know I would make an excellent Clinical Psychologist. I have given up a career in Public health management to work in mental health so it just feels I am left with nothing and I am fast approaching 40. Wish I had made some better choices in my 20s!! Anyway I wasn't going to post but I read somewhere it is good for people to see the realistc side to the decisions and processes so others with 4 rejections don't feel like they are the only ones. I also wanted to post as I do feel quite different as a mature applicant and a parent. Its tough making decisions between a career you are passionate about and what is right for your family. So if thats you, you are not alone and I wish you the very best whatever your outcomes.
Hi Emma2017

I just wanted to reach out as a fellow mummy, I understand your perspective and considerations, I had to select course centres geographically. As hard as it is sometimes I have very much tried to re-frame and consider how my chosen path has made me a better candidate (I did a conversion course) I hope once I have dealt with the emotional aspect of everything I will be in a better place to start thinking about next year. As you said it's your first year of applying so i hope this next year offers you more learning experiences and opportunities, take care. PM if you want to chat :)

clinpsymember

Post by clinpsymember » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:19 pm

South Wales
Leeds
UCL
Lancaster

Congrats to all with interviews! Would any of you who have interviews at South Wales be able to say what information they've given for the interviews in terms of what to expect/prepare for? I am on the reserve list and even though I'm quite far down I feel I should do at least some preparation just in case - so would be really helpful to know what information you have received if possible!

Thanks a lot!