Leicester Shortlisting 2017

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
RJParker

Re: Leicester Shortlisting 2017

Post by RJParker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:38 pm

These are general verbal and numerical ability tests. SHL provide examples of their questions on their website and there are loads available on the internet. The SJT is an untimed test but I don't know much more about it than that.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
OliviaRose

Post by OliviaRose » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:27 pm

Hello. I don't know if I'm missing something but when I sign into SHL and take a practice test I don't seem to get a score at the end. Does this happen for anyone else?

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Just to be clear, the practice tests are not an accurate way to judge performance. They do not mirror the theta based scoring system of the actual testing system which dynamically adjusts the level of the question based on your performance. The practice questions are there to give you an idea of the style and format of the questions asked.

emma2017

Post by emma2017 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Thanks RJParker for all the answers to the many questions about short listing tests. I have been nervously logging in waiting for that invite to SHL and in the meantime just trying to prepare as best I can!
Definitely worth practicing some first and reading a bit about them. I have been out of anything academic for 10 years and even if the tests are nothing like what I have found online it has definitely helped with my nerves practicing those basic skills of reading questions carefully, knowing the traps I tend to fall into - very generic stuff but good for me to do.Whether any of this helps with actual performance remains to be seen!
So just wanted to wish everyone good luck and fingers crossed see you all on the other side of the test window with interview invitations and a whole new set of questions!!!

cassie0301

Post by cassie0301 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:26 am

OliviaRose wrote:Hello. I don't know if I'm missing something but when I sign into SHL and take a practice test I don't seem to get a score at the end. Does this happen for anyone else?
from what i experienced, a score will be given at the end after i complete a survey question pertaining to the practice test.
perhaps you can give that a try.

OliviaRose

Post by OliviaRose » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 pm

cassie0301 wrote:
OliviaRose wrote:Hello. I don't know if I'm missing something but when I sign into SHL and take a practice test I don't seem to get a score at the end. Does this happen for anyone else?
from what i experienced, a score will be given at the end after i complete a survey question pertaining to the practice test.
perhaps you can give that a try.
That's great, thank you :)

GemLH

Post by GemLH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:14 pm

So I'm trying to get the online tests out of the way today and was wondering if anyone else had encountered problems?!

I've just followed the link for the verbal/numerical tests and sat the practice paper for the verbal reasoning one - it took me about 6 minutes. When I've returned to click on the actual assessment, the time allowed now says 19 minutes (as though it has taken the time used on the practice paper off for the actual test!).

I'm sure this isn't right but if anyone else has had a similar thing and has updated the Uni it would be useful to know :)

Thanks in advance guys!

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:32 pm

The standard time limits for the tests are 19 minutes for the verbal test and 25 minutes for the numerical test.

What made you sure it wasn't right?

By the way, there is no link between your live tests and any practice tests you complete. The two are on totally different systems and we have no idea if people have done practice tests or not.

GemLH

Post by GemLH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I was obviously mistaken then - as the original email has copied over that both tests have the same "overall time you will need" I had assumed that we would have been allocated the same amount of time to complete them in (and 19 minutes seemed to be an odd amount of time is all!)

Good luck to other people sitting them x

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Yeah, I hate that table. It's a standard part of their email and you can't take it out or change it. Most vexing. I can see where you'd draw the conclusion from though when they are both the same. It's on the list of things we've asked CEB to look at changing.

GemLH

Post by GemLH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks for your help RJParker - I think it was my anxiety kicking in and confused me also :roll:

I've submitted the tests now and it turns out 19 minutes is plenty of time to spend concentrating on long words anyway ha!

hannahsophia3

Post by hannahsophia3 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Are we supposed to get one e,ail about one test and then another email about the other two? I've had an email about one of them. I assumed they would all come together?

Jam

Post by Jam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm just about to log in to do the SJT. The initial screen says I will be asked for my CHPCCP application short ID number. Does anyone know where I can get hold if this? I can't find it amongst my login page for the CHPCCP.
"Learn about intentions, for their importance is greater than the importance of actions"

aakl

Post by aakl » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 pm

hannahsophia3 wrote:Are we supposed to get one e,ail about one test and then another email about the other two? I've had an email about one of them. I assumed they would all come together?
I got two emails- one for SJT and another for the two reasoning tests
When in doubt...PIZZA

aakl

Post by aakl » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Jam wrote:I'm just about to log in to do the SJT. The initial screen says I will be asked for my CHPCCP application short ID number. Does anyone know where I can get hold if this? I can't find it amongst my login page for the CHPCCP.
If you log onto the clearing house website, it should appear on your screen
When in doubt...PIZZA