Heard anything from Edinburgh

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
VanillaChai

Heard anything from Edinburgh

Post by VanillaChai » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi all,

I know Edinburgh usually do additional application questions around this time. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet? I think anxiety is setting in already... :P

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
VanillaChai

Re: Heard anything from Edinburgh

Post by VanillaChai » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Spoke to soon, I just got an email :D

gigi

Post by gigi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi I just received the email from Edinburgh and am wondering if you could help. I am a foreigner and am so worried in choosing the correctly placement of choice. I saw all the areas but am realising that a car might be necessary however I don't think that is an option. What is in your opinion the best areas that a train would just do to go from one place to the other from the placement areas assigned by Edinburgh?

Thank you so much!! Getting anxious more and more!

VanillaChai

Post by VanillaChai » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 am

Hey Gigi,

That's a tricky one...I think some people do manage without a car and probably the best one would be Lothian but there is still the potential that you can be put in a remote placement, although you could probably manage with buses. The areas that you will most likely need a car for are Borders, Grampian, Dumfries. You might be able to manage without one for Fife, Tayside, Forth Valley, Lanarkshire, although you could still be placed somewhere remote within those areas. I do think they take whether you have a car into account with some placements though.

I hope that helps!

gigi

Post by gigi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Thank you so much VanillaChai that was very helpful as I don't know the regions, only read the pdf documents they sent to us!
:)

UnicornPsy

Post by UnicornPsy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:18 am

gigi wrote:Hi I just received the email from Edinburgh and am wondering if you could help. I am a foreigner and am so worried in choosing the correctly placement of choice. I saw all the areas but am realising that a car might be necessary however I don't think that is an option. What is in your opinion the best areas that a train would just do to go from one place to the other from the placement areas assigned by Edinburgh?

Thank you so much!! Getting anxious more and more!
Hey gigi,

I would suggest to chose Lanarkshire, Borders and Lothian first - Tayside, Aberdeen and Fife and Elginhave a lot of commute involving a car when it comes to clinical placements (buses tend to be a bit irregular when you find your self on east coast Scotland) plus the commute to Edinburgh for teaching.

Hope this helps! :)
* What you choose to do to make people present their best self?*

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi guys - just to say, as a Tayside trainee I need to have a car. Bear in mind you may be asked to do home visits all over Taytside, and that is quite a big geographical area. Even for Lothian most trainees find it easier if you drive. I think in my cohort there are only a couple of people who don't drive and they end up spending a lot of time on public transport.

sorayadanica

Post by sorayadanica » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:11 pm

All of the courses say that you they will not discriminate on selecting you based on whether you have a car but that it is hugely advised for purposes of travel to and from placement and during your working day. Public transport around Scotland is pretty bad - you often have to go to a central location to get out again. Courses will not give people without a car placements close to home and send those with a car far away; that would not be fair, and they are pretty clear about that. I lived in Edinburgh for three years without a car and it is pretty manageable but I did an outreach job for just four months and was exhausted with the time it took to get buses (remember the winters are very cold!) and to walk around. If you have a disability that means you cannot drive (e.g. epilepsy) then courses will take that into consideration.

There is an NHS lease scheme where you can rent a car at a fixed price per month. I think this includes insurance and repairs. You have to be on a minimum of a three year contract, so this might be possible as a clinical trainee.

Begrand

Post by Begrand » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Might be an obvious question, but is the character limit for the additional questions including spaces or no?

UnicornPsy

Post by UnicornPsy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Anyone heard anything from Edinburgh?

Begrand

Post by Begrand » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:48 pm

UnicornPsy wrote:Anyone heard anything from Edinburgh?
They tend to leave it right to the deadline, so unless they surprise us this year still another few days to go!

UnicornPsy

Post by UnicornPsy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Hey,
for those offered an interview, anyone interest to form a live group chat for written task prep alongside with advice on the interpersonal role play? :)