course shortlisting dates 2017

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
puggins

Re: course shortlisting dates 2017

Post by puggins » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks for that persephone56! I was so sure we'd hear from UCL today. Has anyone cracked and called them? I might call on Friday if we've not had anything by then

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
sparkling

Post by sparkling » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:49 pm

To be honest, and just my view, I wouldn't call. Several courses have explicitly put in their details that all communications with the admissions team during the process will be considered as part of the process.....We know when the last date is. And I am a fourth time applicant absolutely desperate to hear back haha....
Last edited by sparkling on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RhubarbCrumble

Post by RhubarbCrumble » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 pm

I agree with Sparkling.

Remember that for the dates posted on the last page the deadline was 5 days earlier. So even if they get back to you on the same date (which there's no guarantee you will), that still means UCL wouldn't be sending out interview offers until 07/03. You just need to be patient.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:25 pm

sparkling wrote:To be honest, and just my view, I wouldn't call. Several courses and explicitly put in their details that all communications with the admissions team during the process will be considered as part of the process.....We know when the last date is. And I am a fourth time applicant absolutely desperate to hear back haha....
Courses actually say that? Which ones?

sparkling

Post by sparkling » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:32 pm

I can't recall offhand Lakeland - I applied to Surrey, UCL, UEL and Royal Holloway and to my recollection I think two of them said it. I hadn't noticed that before so seems to be a change.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:49 pm

lakeland wrote:
sparkling wrote:To be honest, and just my view, I wouldn't call. Several courses and explicitly put in their details that all communications with the admissions team during the process will be considered as part of the process.....We know when the last date is. And I am a fourth time applicant absolutely desperate to hear back haha....
Courses actually say that? Which ones?
Lol, I think sparkling is having a joke with everyone! This is just not true :)
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Hopeful

Post by Hopeful » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:02 am

Anyone heard anything about Manchester or Staffordshire?

sparkling

Post by sparkling » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:07 am

BlueCat - maybe I read wrongly but Surrey added this....

Short-listed candidates are invited to attend a day selection procedure that will take place on either the 24, 25 or 26 April 2017 that includes interviews assessing academic, clinical, professional, personal and learning skills and capacity. Candidates will be assessed according to the NHS Values. All contact with the Course will be seen as providing potential information relating to these.

puggins

Post by puggins » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:45 am

I'd interpret that to mean that your application and everything you do at interview will assess those domains. I may be mistaken, but I think it would be incredibly unfair to dismiss candidates for contacting courses - think of those who have operations booked which may impact on their ability to attend interviews, it would be best to know asap when they can rearrange their operation to ensure they aren't waiting too long for treatment etc.

sparkling

Post by sparkling » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:10 am

Sure I may be wrong! I probably wouldn't think contact would mean interviews etc but may be my misinterpretation. I would also totally agree - I would assume legitimate contact would be fine of course!! Just emails asking about when people would hear are probably a bit annoying ;-)

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 am

Lancaster use all contact with candidates as part of their assessment of that candidate. I'm aware of other programmes that also do this. Why would a programme not be interested in the manner of contact that a candidate makes with various team members and their conduct during that contact? Information on how candidates deal with issues outside of an interview room is as valuable as what goes on inside it.

sparkling

Post by sparkling » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:36 am

I'm glad I'm not totally losing it ;-)

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:19 am

None of that is a reason to worry about contacting any programme with a genuine query of course.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:24 am

That's really interesting and does make some sense, there will always be legitimate reasons for contacting courses about dates etc. However, if someone is rude, entitled or pushy when asking something, I get why that's important too.

I remember emailing my course when I saw that offers for places were out on ClinPsy, as I wouldn't be home to get that letter until later, so I'm definitely guilty of anxious communication. I later emailed to check they'd had my paperwork accepting the place, because I panicked about that too! I like to think I redeemed myself by being a chilled out trainee 8) :lol:

Mermind

Post by Mermind » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:53 am

The Staffordshire screening test invite letter stated that "All communications with the Programme staff team, including the administrators, may be taken into account in considering applicants' suitability for the Programme". However, I agree with the above posters, I am sure that it would depend on the nature of your query and the manner with which you handle it.