Are there any courses you would advise applicants to avoid?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Studentin11

Are there any courses you would advise applicants to avoid?

Post by Studentin11 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:29 am

You tend to only hear the positive things that people have to say about the courses that they have chosen to apply to. I wondered if anyone had any cautions about courses that they had particularly disliked when making application decisions, or had bad experiences with during the process, or even completing the course.

Are there any courses you would advise applicants to avoid and why?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lakeland

Re: Are there any courses you would advise applicants to avo

Post by lakeland » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:54 am

I don't think anyone could easily answer this. There are so many variables when it comes to picking a course and everyone's experience will differ. I'm sure that some people may avoid certain courses because of the selection process, in that it might not suit them and their skills, and some people may not apply to a course again after an unsuccessful application or interview, but the reasons behind this are likely to be very subjective and therefore not generalisable.

I think there was a thread on here about why people picked their choices, and generally it was about location, number of places / applicants and ethos. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit - here it is - click

BenJMan

Re: Are there any courses you would advise applicants to avo

Post by BenJMan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:55 am

I think Lakeland is right, sometimes a course does not suit an individual due to their style or preference for exams vs essays etc.. but I wouldn't want to begin a thread here which sets people up to bad mouth a particular course or their selection/recruitment/training processes.

I think on reflection I am going to lock this thread as Lakeland has directed you towards the more positive thread to approach your question and the potential for libel towards a course on this one could present a problem in future :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.