AP for a year or more?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
oc93

AP for a year or more?

Post by oc93 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi there, I have a question and have tried to look across the forum but can't seem to find the answer, apologies if I have missed something. Is it better to have a few years in different roles or a longer time in one.

I am new to the application process having applied this year for the first time. Currently I am an AP, this is a permanent role and is really clinical. However it seems that most people leave after a year and get new roles. Is this because most AP roles are fixed at 12 months, or is it better to have a wider breadth of experience? Long question short, should I look for new roles (potentially research based) when it's been a year or should I carry on with what I am doing and enjoying (except staying in same service area).

Again apologies if this is the incorrect thread

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Thomson94

Re: AP for a year or more?

Post by Thomson94 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Hello!

I'm currently in the same position as you so I'd be really interested to see other people's views and their own experience.

I think ultimately it depends what you've learned/are learning in your current role. Personally, I feel like I have learned so much in my current post, therefore if I'm not successful with the Doctorate this year I'll be looking at applying to different roles to gain some more experience elsewhere.

It also depends on your situation. I'm fortunate enough that my post has no fixed end date, whereas if I was in a fixed-term post I'd be worried about finding another for financial reasons.

Generally, I think you'd get a feeling on when it's 'time' to leave and move on.

Sorry, I don't think I've helped much but I am too interested to see what other people think :)

oc93

Post by oc93 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:39 pm

I'm glad to hear this wasn't a redundant post! I agree with you I'm sure I will realise when it's time. My role also has no end which is obviously fortunate but also unclear as to what I do. I thought there was some protocol for doing a year and changing as that is what everyone seems to do, but perhaps this is more due to the majority being fixed term. Thank you for your advice!

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:06 pm

It is definitely more to do with most contracts being for a year. My advice would be to stay put until you feel you have developed as far as you can in your current role. Might it be possible to negotiate a day swap with an AP in another service area? We did this in one of the Trusts I worked in (we had permanent AP contracts and had ended up with the same people in the posts for about three straight years - they were good and we wanted to hang onto them but they were getting frustrated). Basically we allowed the APs to "swap" a day a week with another AP in another service area, allowing both to develop skills and experience in another part of the service.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

oc93

Post by oc93 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi BlueCat, thank you very much for your response that's helpful. The idea of swapping sounds really great I will for sure float that out there. This is good to hear as my role and team is really good so didn't want to move just because of seeming protocol. Hope this is helpful for others too.

astra

Post by astra » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 am

Definitely, if you've got a good job hang on to it! There's no need to move around and get different experiences. I've seen people get on the course on the back of just one support work role. The key is to really get as much as you can out of the role, learn, think about how you are applying your undergrad theory to clinical practice, use supervision to understand the role and develop in it. The person who got on from a single support worker role was just brilliant at making theory practice links, was obviously very bright and able and demonstrated their knowledge really effectively in interview.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

oc93

Post by oc93 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Thank you all for your comments, really helpful. I will plan to stay in this role as I feel there is huge learning opportunities and I am enjoying it!

JackFarr

Post by JackFarr » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:39 pm

I have worked as an AP in my role now for just over a year. However, if I am unsuccessful on obtaining a position on the clinical training I will be looking for another AP post despite having the luxury of a permanent contract. My clinical supervisors at my current placement are fully supportive of this and remind in supervision to think about moving on instead of staying simply because I like working here.

For me, it is important to obtain experience in different clinical areas and this is reflected in some requirements for different universities. For example Leeds look for experience in at least 2 different clinical settings post graduation (undergrad).

So its worth thinking carefully about the cost / benefits of staying and moving on.

All the best with your future decisions
Jack