Writing skills

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
confuseddotcom

Writing skills

Post by confuseddotcom » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi all,

I've been searching through the forum posts and topics and I've been unable to find the advice I'm specifically looking for. I've basically not been doing well when it comes to the written tasks for the course. Now with a masters recently under my belt and a brush up of research methods and a well thought out response (or so I thought) I thought and felt that I did well on a recent screening test. But I did not. And I also experienced the same scenario last year. I understand that there will be many people that obviously did better than me on the test but I also want to think about and improve my own skills. Especially when some interviews also have written tasks. There seems to be something about reading research and critiquing that i'm not doing right - although when doing these types of tasks I feel like I've covered 'all angles'. Maybe there's something in the way I write? Particularly under timed conditions. But yes, what I'm really looking for is any advice on what I can do to hone in these skills. Has anyone else also fell at the hurdle of written tests? And what have you found helpful in overcoming them?

Thank you.
CDC

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Holly85

Re: Writing skills

Post by Holly85 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi confused dotcom
I had one screening test last year which I didn't get an interview for but the screening test this year I did get an interview for. I think the main difference was the clarity in my answer and perhaps placing that research into the wider context of clinical psychology, why are the implications of that important, don't know if you do this but maybe thinking if there is anything from the paper you would use in your clinical practice. Another difference was the year before I was in much more of a panicked state don't know if that applies to you but think anxiety will always get in the way.

confuseddotcom

Post by confuseddotcom » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 am

Hi Holly85,

Thanks for responding... So you go through the different areas of the research to critique (method, etc) and then the implications of that research? Yeah I certainly don't even think about that aspect of it. I'm also thinking about the way i write during the task; tending to stick to simple plain English sentences one after another rather than general overviews. Just so I make sure I get it all out coherently.

Also, what do you mean by putting it in the wider context of psychology?

Holly85

Post by Holly85 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi confuseddotcom

Yea I would go through all the areas, method etc. Dividing it into headings to make sure it is really clear.

Then I would give a brief description of the implications for clinical practice and maybe even if you can put it into the wider context of the nhs at that moment - show why that research is important, think that is particularly important when you have been asked to design a study rather than give a critique. Also I try to put in about how the research links to theory for example attachment theory or social learning - that might be more important when asked to design a study but it shows that you have gone beyond what is expected, making you stand out and show that you can make practice-theory links, all things that selectors like to see.

confuseddotcom

Post by confuseddotcom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Yeah that makes sense and something I've not really thought about in these types of tasks actually - so thank you, useful advice!

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 pm

If you are interested in improving your writing skills, I recommend an online writing course. I attended a free ten-week course provided by Stanford Online and recommend it. If you are interested in improving your critical appraisal of research, it might be helpful to join a journal club or seek input from a research-confident supervisor who can help.

confuseddotcom

Post by confuseddotcom » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:02 pm

Some good suggestions. Thanks Alexander :)