What is meant by academic skills?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
AnonymousPerson

What is meant by academic skills?

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I have an interview at UEL and I am so anxious about it!

I know that 'academic skills' (note: not research) will be interviewed but what is meant by this? I am so lost and have no idea how to prepare for this? Is this thinking about A levels or GCSEs or undergrad/postgrad stuff - but then wouldnt the latter be research skills? Aghh please help!! :cry:

Any directions would be highly appreciated!

Many thanks beforehand

x

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
MarkM

Re: What is meant by academic skills?

Post by MarkM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Just a guess, but could it be things like writing/communication skills, presentation skills, critical thinking, team-working? I would imagine that there is quite some overlap between some academic and research skills, too.

Don't be too anxious, if you've managed to get through undergrad you must possess a certain level of "academic skills" (:
Good luck!
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

EmmaLou

Post by EmmaLou » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Hey Anonymousperson!

Good luck for your interview!

Just in addition to what MarkM said, I think academic skills can include things like your knowledge of theory and ability to apply theory to practice. You really don't need to know every theory ever written about, but I prepared by having a look at a couple of very general theories and some more specific theories/models I had used at work. Have a think about how you applied and used these theories in understanding someone's situation, and any work that you did with them.

Hope that helps a little :D

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks so much both! :) I was thinking along the same lines but was not too sure xx