declaring a disability - wishing I hadn't

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Such_a_lovely_girl

declaring a disability - wishing I hadn't

Post by Such_a_lovely_girl » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:10 pm

I've been invited to an interview at a course this year. I've experienced generalised anxiety in the past but received CBT and medication around 4 years ago and am still on low dose antidepressant medication. I just emailed the course I have been invited to ask if the panel are able to be approachable on the day as this will put me at ease (they've asked about reasonable adjustments). Have I just done something really stupid?! I've realised that the people interviewing me might not think I am up to the job when the reality is I have quite a stressful job as a social work assistant at the moment.

Have I just messed up my chances for this year?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
DanJJJJJJ

Re: declaring a disability - wishing I hadn't

Post by DanJJJJJJ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:54 pm

I think what courses may well be interested in is your ability to creatively manage, and possibly overcome, difficulties allowing yourself to carry out your job / studies / whatever sufficiently. Luckily you have an interview where you can discuss how you have been able to manage your anxiety through adaptive strategies like you are describing. You might want to be wary of your strategy being earmarked as a safety behaviour so you might want to prepare for that eventuality.

I have suffered with chronic, debilitating migraines for years and the fact that I have found strategies to manage this I see as one of my biggest strengths as it demonstrates resilience as well as real life understanding of experiencing physical / psych health difficulties. Most people, I am fairly certain, would have retired from paid work and be spending most their time in bed if they had experienced what I have... so sell how you have been able to MANAGE your "disability"!

BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: declaring a disability - wishing I hadn't

Post by BlueCat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:59 pm

How did it go?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.