Tie or not to tie - that is the question

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
GeekyMcGee

Tie or not to tie - that is the question

Post by GeekyMcGee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:59 am

Hi all,

Have an interview for UCL this week (first interview after 5 attempts :shock: ) and in a bit of a kerfuffle wondering what I should wear.

Is it standard practice for men going to these interviews to wear a tie? I don't wear one at work and was thinking of attending with smart shoes, formal shirt and trouser with a blazer but no tie. Sound ok?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
stephenkingfan

Re: Tie or not to tie - that is the question

Post by stephenkingfan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 am

I'm sure that would be smart enough. Most of the men at the interview day I was at last week were wearing ties. There was huge variation in how smart the women were dressed though. Some in formal suits/smart dresses, through to a nice evening blouse and trousers, through to a fairly casual jumper and skirt.

I think if a tie is uncomfortable for you then you don't need to wear one

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:43 am

I personally love a tie, it seems to show real respect for the situation (in my totally own personal opinion), however it doesn't seem to correlate with success on gaining a training place, or ability as a clinician (in my extensive survery of the tie wearing community), so I'd go with whatever rocks your socks. Good luck! x
Fail, fail again, fail better.

GeekyMcGee

Post by GeekyMcGee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks for the above both of you. Think I'll probably plump for wearing one.

purpledot

Post by purpledot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm always a fan of being prepared - why not take it in your pocket/bag and decide when you arrive?

stephenkingfan

Post by stephenkingfan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Great idea! I took flat and heeled shoes. Opted for heels on the day but had flats in case I decided against heels.

purpledot

Post by purpledot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Haha, me too! For one of my interviews I opted to wear a dress and tights, but somehow managed to ladder both my usual pair & my emergency pair on the morning of the interview... I wore trousers to the next interview :roll:

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:23 pm

The usual advice for interviews is to dress up. Look the part, and all that.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:21 pm

I didn't wear a tie and got on. It's certainty not make or break! A cravat on the other hand will be the making of you young lad

GeekyMcGee

Post by GeekyMcGee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:35 pm

Now that's an idea I can get behind. I will look so positively spiffing with my cravat, monocle and pocket watch that they won't be able to resist choosing me for the course.