Research interview question

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
AnonymousPerson

Research interview question

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:33 pm

Hello,

I am seeking for some advice regarding research questions at interview.

If they ask a question on research you have done, I hope to talk about my master's thesis (I'm fairly proud of this). My Bsc thesis on the other hand was really poor. Is there a chance they say no to wanting to hear about postgrad and insist on undergrad research?

My supervisor advised I tell them that my Bsc was poor and I have developed since then and ask them if they wanted to hear about Bsc or Msc.

Please advise :cry: this could save me some time from revisiting my Bsc and just knowing my Msc really well.

Thank you

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
JackFarr

Re: Research interview question

Post by JackFarr » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi there,

I was asked at my interview something along the lines of 'tell us about a piece of research you were involved in, outlining the literature review, the method and the results?'

I didn't talk about my undergrad research as it was only loosely linked to clinical psychology. Instead, I talked about some research I was involved with while working within the NHS. As long as you can talk confidently about the research and talk about its strengths and weaknesses, I am sure you will be ok.

I am unsure of what other universities do, but hope my experience is of use to you.
Jack

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Thank you, your response is really helpful.

I think I will take a risk and just revisit my Msc thesis ^.

xx

Begrand

Post by Begrand » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:09 pm

I only went over my MSc as well and it was enough on the day if that's any help.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Thank you Begrand. It's of much help in that you are majorly decreasing my anxiety xx

stephenkingfan

Post by stephenkingfan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:48 pm

My BSc dissertation was terrible and I wrote it 8 years ago. My MSc dissertation wasn't the best either....

I haven't been asked about mine in any interviews I've attended but I think the main point is to consider what you did, why you did it, and to think about what you would do again differently. For example my MSc mark wasn't as high as it could have been because I started it 6 weeks before the deadline and I didn't arrange to see my supervisor nearly as much as I should have. I can look back on these mistakes and think about why that was and how I have grown since then. I think if you've done well enough academically to get an interview then discussing research in your interview is more about your knowledge of research methods, consideration of ethics, reflections etc.

That's how I approached research Qs in my interview and it was enough to get offered a place. As I said, it wasn't about my research, but generally about research. I couldn't even remember the name of the paper or the authors when I was describing it!

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks hannah0120, that's really helpful advice :)

Congratulations on getting on the course - here's hoping...

xx

JFox

Post by JFox » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 am

I was a bit stressed about the research part of my interview also. I only have my Undergraduate dissertation that counts as true "research" experience (rather than audit or service evaluation etc which I have plenty of experience with!) and I did that 5 years ago.

As expected, in my research my interview I was asked to talk about a piece of research I had done. I even asked them if I could talk about service evaluation (thinking that it was more recent experience and went much better), or if they wanted "true research". They said they just need to hear something where I have knowledge of the background theory/literature, method, results, conclusions and dissemination. My Undergraduate dissertation fit this most at the time, even though it wasn’t entirely relevant to Clinical Psychology and was filled with flaws. None the less, I spoke about it at interview, and I am so glad I did. They seemed to be more interested in my reflections on what I had learned since then, and what I would do differently now, than how well it went at the time! It must have been OK, as I was offered a place :D

I don’t think they will stipulate that they only want to hear about Undergraduate, so I would guess just brushing up on your Masters work would be fine. But if you do find yourself in a situation where they ask about your Undergraduate, don’t panic. Just be reflective about it and explain how you have grown since then and what you might do differently now to correct the issues with it.

I hope that this helps! Best of luck with your interview!
If at first you don't succeed, try two more times so that your failure is statistically significant!

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 am

Many thanks JFox :) , I will take on all your helpful advice and brush up on my MSc and just be reflective about it if they insist on hearing about Bsc xxx