Did you study a Masters?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Misfit

Did you study a Masters?

Post by Misfit » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi,

To those of you on the Doctorate/ those who have completed the Doctorate or even planning to complete a Doctorate, did you do a Masters in Psychology / are you going to complete a Psychology Masters​? How important is a Masters in order to get onto a Doctorate or even to work as an Assistant Psychologist? x

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
purpledot

Re: Did you study a Masters?

Post by purpledot » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 pm

I can't answer for how much a Masters will help in terms of gaining an AP position as I've never been an AP, but there are lots of similar threads listed on the forum which might be helpful.

In terms of gaining a place on the doctorate, it depends on a number of factors, including your undergrad mark (e.g. some courses specify a distinction at MSc if you have a 2:2) or where you're thinking of applying to (some courses place more emphasis on an applicant's academic profile and some don't). Having a look at the entry requirements for courses you're interested in on the Clearing House might help to guide your thinking, and the Alternative Handbook can give you a bit of an idea about whether current trainees on the courses you're interested in typically have an MSc.

Hope this helps :)

Misfit

Post by Misfit » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:27 am

purpledot wrote:I can't answer for how much a Masters will help in terms of gaining an AP position as I've never been an AP, but there are lots of similar threads listed on the forum which might be helpful.

In terms of gaining a place on the doctorate, it depends on a number of factors, including your undergrad mark (e.g. some courses specify a distinction at MSc if you have a 2:2) or where you're thinking of applying to (some courses place more emphasis on an applicant's academic profile and some don't). Having a look at the entry requirements for courses you're interested in on the Clearing House might help to guide your thinking, and the Alternative Handbook can give you a bit of an idea about whether current trainees on the courses you're interested in typically have an MSc.

Thanks for your reply :)
Well, I studied a joint honours degree at undergraduate level so have to do a Masters conversion course if I would like BPS accreditation anyway but just feel so silly at not having just done straight Psychology, then I wouldn't be in this mess. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to make myself feel better by seeing if others have had to do Masters to get further into Psychology. I don't even know if I want to train as a Psychologist, but I definitely want to help people. I'm keen to apply for training as a PWP.

Bela

Post by Bela » Tue May 02, 2017 2:34 pm

Personally I didn't do a masters, but I think around 2/3 of my cohort did. I think masters courses tend to be a lot more clinically relevant than undergraduate degrees and I'm sure you'll learn a lot that you will find interesting. It will also give you a good foundation in research (which you could even try to publish) that will be a definite advantage on the course. I'd have a look around and chose one that you like the sound of it if its something that you need to do for accreditation anyway. You want to be able to enjoy it and feel you are gaining something useful from the experience, rather than just doing it to tick a box.

Do you need BPS accreditation to be a PWP? If CP is not your end goal and you don't particularly like the sound of doing a masters, are there other things you could do instead, without accreditation?

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Mon May 08, 2017 12:08 pm

You may want to explore this thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=145

It lists the experience of lots of our members when they got a place on the Doctorate, including whether they had a Masters or not :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

reishi

Post by reishi » Thu May 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Misfit wrote:
purpledot wrote:I can't answer for how much a Masters will help in terms of gaining an AP position as I've never been an AP, but there are lots of similar threads listed on the forum which might be helpful.

Well, I studied a joint honours degree at undergraduate level so have to do a Masters conversion course if I would like BPS accreditation anyway but just feel so silly at not having just done straight Psychology, then I wouldn't be in this mess. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to make myself feel better by seeing if others have had to do Masters to get further into Psychology. I don't even know if I want to train as a Psychologist, but I definitely want to help people. I'm keen to apply for training as a PWP.
Hi,
I did study Psychology (though overseas) and I got a very high distinction out of it, and BPS confirmed my GBC without any further studies. But i studied a master's anyway and I believe it tremendously helped me. There are some conversion courses which offers very interesting modules, such as the one at Edinburgh. Hope you decide what is best for you.
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am

I did and I found it very helpful. I undertook it to improve an area I felt was a weakness: stats and methods. I very much did so to improve my chances of getting onto the DClinPsy but also was genuinely interested in the MSc in its own right. Whenever possible, I would advise you to do whatever interests you and not just what you think you need to do get on the course. Good luck.

Esk

Post by Esk » Fri May 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Misfit wrote:
Hi Misfit, I also did a joint degree but then I completed a post graduate diploma as a conversion course afterwards, which just entailed completing those modules that were needed for accreditation. It was much cheaper and less time consuming than a masters if that's an option for you? (Although I did also do an MSc later I think that helped more in terms of what jobs I got rather than contributing directly to getting on a course.)

Misfit

Post by Misfit » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for your replies! No, you don't need to have BPS accreditation to train as a PWP. I applied years ago with very little experience (was unsuccessful) and I've applied to train as a PWP for this September too. If I don't get on the PWP course in September this year or March 2018, I'll probably apply for PWP training for September 2018 and also a Masters Conversion course for a September 2018.

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi Misfit,

I think it ultimately comes down to whether the Masters will be beneficial to your application in terms of how it fits with your general career progression and how you're able to draw upon, and reflect on what you've learned. For example, I originally had no intention of studying an MSc, but given that my previous experiences are mainly working for a movement disorders clinic and an early psychosis program, both of which carry a focus on neuropsychological assessment and adhere to more of a biologically focused model, I wanted to do something which demonstrated I was a little more psychological minded than my experiences indicate.

Probably doesn't help you much, but I asked myself the same question after I finished my undergraduate :)

Good luck!