Applying for clinical while doing HI

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
clinpsymember

Applying for clinical while doing HI

Post by clinpsymember » Thu May 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi all,

I am wondering whether anyone has any advice on or previous experience of applying for clinical whilst doing the one-year high intensity IAPT training. I have applied to do high intensity after the summer, but my main goal is to get on clinical training. Due to being a EU student, I am worried about how many more chances I'll get to apply once Brexit happens. I am therefore keen to maximise my chances for next year, but also want to do something useful and enjoyable while waiting. I have heard rumours that some unis may frown upon applying for one NHS funded course whilst doing another - does anyone know anything more about this? I am also wondering how much this adds to my experience in the eyes of selectors, as I am already working in IAPT and wonder if I need more varied experience. Any previous experiences or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Tlf

Re: Applying for clinical while doing HI

Post by Tlf » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Hiya,

I have just got onto the clinical doctorate this year after starting HI training in 2015. This means I had a year post training just working as a CBT therapist before applying for the doctorate. I didn't apply in my HI trainee year for two reasons; one being I thought it wouldn't look great, as you say, to be trying to move on before having actually worked as a CBT therapist full time but the other thing to consider is the HI CBT training is a very full on course. You squeeze a lot of learning into a very small period of time and I think it has been healthy for me to have a year of just working prior to starting the doctorate. Most HI training courses are a full year also I believe (Sept to Sept) so it's possible there will be crossover.

That being said, we are all individuals and I'm not aware of anything formal which suggests unis will not consider someone going through HI training.

As for the question about experience, this is also something I had considered as I also worked as a PWP before (I'm assuming this is what you are doing if you are in IAPT). I would say that working as a HI therapist does add a huge amount of clinical experience that working as a PWP doesn't give you. Formulation skills for a start but also huge leaps in your skills as a therapist in general. So whilst not adding variety in the type of service, it gives you a huge depth of knowledge and skills compared with PWP alone.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any more questions.

Tanya

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:08 pm

We had both LI and HI therapists in my doctoral training year, so I guess it's not too much of a barrier (and I expect the opposite). Good luck.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

hawke

Post by hawke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:56 pm

The main issue is that the IAPT courses don't particularly like you doing it - they explicitly ask in a lot of interviews what your 5 year plan is. I did my PWP training last year, and we were told they would not write us references until we had finished the course and we also had in our contract a commitment to working at least 6 months for the service that paid our fees after the course finished.
I've been very open about applying for the doctorate this year at work. My back up plan is HI, and realised I would potentially now struggle in my current service, as they know my long-term plan is the doctorate now. Whoops!

jamesivens

Post by jamesivens » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi

I went from HI training onto Clinical training without issue.

J.

Jenfa

Post by Jenfa » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi

I'll be starting the doctorate at Staffs in September. I was accepted onto a children's PWP 2 year contract with Virgin care prior to finding out I had gotten onto training - they were aware that this was my long term plan right from the outset when I interviewed and they were fine about it. Since pulling out of the PWP contract they have been really understanding (despite having every right to be annoyed with me!) and even offered me a different post until September. So from my experience they were understanding but I imagine this isn't always the case.

The way I framed it in my interview was that getting onto the doctorate felt increasingly unlikely and therefore I wanted to use my skills and go down the PWP route to give myself the opportunity to be qualified and be able to settle down and buy a house etc, but I made it clear I was going to keep applying for the doctorate.

Hope this is kind of helpful!
Jenni

AliJasWil

Post by AliJasWil » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi all,

Have never really posted properly on here before but wanted to address this query! I am currently doing the IAPT HI training and have just accepted a place on DCLinPsy to start in September. I haven't had any negative feedback or experience along my journey!

Good luck!

clinpsymember

Post by clinpsymember » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 am

Hi all,

So sorry, I thought I had already replied to say thank you to everyone for your replies - it's been very helpful! I decided to apply for HI training and got a place! People in the service are aware I'm trying to apply for the doctorate, but it has not been raised as an issue - I'm assuming different services may have different views on this, so I've been lucky ☺️ I was wondering, those of you who have got in from HI, which unis did you get accepted at? I'm trying to work out where to apply this year ☺️ Thank you!