Clinical Experience Abroad?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Studentin11

Clinical Experience Abroad?

Post by Studentin11 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any experience getting clinical placements abroad. What avenues did you go through? Did you enjoy the experience? Was it an advantage when applying to the DClinPsy or did it not really count for much?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where to put it.)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
astra

Re: Clinical Experience Abroad?

Post by astra » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:27 am

When I've been involved in selection for the course I've always been interested in the variety of ways people gain their experience. Working abroad helps you see other cultures and healthcare systems and broadens your views on the world, plus if you get to work with marginalised and disadvantaged groups of people then it's helping you understand humanity better, and understand the challenges people face. In an interview situation I would then be interested in how you relate that experience to what you're applying for - so you helped dig a well in central Africa - what's that got to do with clinical training - well what did you learn from it? how has it helped you to grow as a person? what did you learn about the people you helped there? I've said before though, I'm just as impressed (possibly more so) by someone who has worked in Greggs for the last 10 years while they got their degree part time and volunteered for a homeless charity whilst bringing up a couple of kids. If you want to travel, and can afford to, then great, but if you can't that's fine too.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn