Travel versus Clinical Experience for Doctorate Place?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
HannahGreg

Travel versus Clinical Experience for Doctorate Place?

Post by HannahGreg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:57 pm

I've been working as an assistant psychologist within a private company in London for that past year. I don't enjoy the company, as it has many issues within its management structure and working culture. I have the option to go traveling in February. I have thought about quitting my post to travel south America for a couple of months and only returning earlier if I get an interview in the next round of applications.

I'm torn.

On the one hand I want to travel and see more places and experience more cultures. I feel like I've learnt all I can from my current placement and next year I would like to enter the NHS as either an AP or be accepted on the doctorate. I was thinking that when I returned from travelling (if I didn't get an interview/accepted next year) I would simply reapply for NHS roles etc.

However, I also understand that gaining an assistant psychologist position is difficult and I don't want to jeopardise my chances of gaining experience for future applications.

I was just wandering if anyone had any thoughts or perspectives on what would be best?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Jenfa

Re: Travel versus Clinical Experience for Doctorate Place?

Post by Jenfa » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi

My impression has always been that once you get an AP post, it's a lot easier to get an interview for another one, this is based on personal experience of myself and people I know though.

I was working as AP for a private company and had similar issues, I think if you're not happy and you have the opportunity to travel then go for it! I wish I'd gone travelling when I had the chance.
Jenni