Deferral of place

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
icebluesparkles

Deferral of place

Post by icebluesparkles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello everyone

I know this is quiet season on the forum but I wondered if anyone had any guidance on my question. I am fortunate enough to have a place on training this year but have had something very difficult happen in my personal life. Obviously I want to start training but am aware of the demands of the course and am mindful that I have a lot else on my plate at the moment. Does anyone know if courses are ever amenable to people deferring the start of training. I know that they would have to do so for mat leave and I also understand it is not something they would do just because someone felt like taking a trip round the world or something. However I wondered if in certain circumstances they ever do so? I am not sure even from a funding position how that would work. Obviously I will contact the course direct but didn't want to do that if there is likely to be absolutely no way they would consider it in which case I will just push through.

Many thanks

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
purpledot

Re: Deferral of place

Post by purpledot » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi icebluesparkles,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced some difficult events, and hope that you've been able to take some time to do what you need to do to look after yourself. In terms of deferring, I'd really recommend contacting your course as soon as possible to chat to them. Even if you don't end up deferring, it might be a good idea anyway to let them know what's going on so that they can consider how best to support you (if this is needed). I know people who have deferred starting training for a number of reasons, and from my experience, trainees' well-being is always seen as a top priority and I'm sure that the course will want to support you however they can.

I hope it works out ok for you :)

astra

Post by astra » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:11 am

People defer for lots of reasons, health, pregnancy, bereavement etc. Talk to the course and see what they say. You've still got several weeks before you start, so some good self care now may be enough to get you through.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

sparkling

Post by sparkling » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:51 pm

I would definitely ask and be open about it - even if you do start it's helpful for them to know you may need extra support.

From my own experience, and hearing that of others, courses seem to have different approaches. I asked to defer because of the current health of my youngest child (which was expected to improve by the time the course starts but appears not to be). This pretty much fell on deaf ears I'm afraid but they are making a big deal of providing support for me if they can - but it seems more like checking I won't flunk the course really if I'm being cynical......

However others are happier with deferrals for very good reasons - either way I would definitely be open with them and hope it all works out well for you x

cascina

Post by cascina » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:16 pm

This issue clearly varies very much between courses. I was not able to start this September for reasons that were genuine and unforeseen. I was not allowed to defer. Although the course were very nice about how they handled it, it was simply not an option even as someone with a disability. Although it was tempting to start anyway, it would have compromised my health and the wellbeing of my family so I had no option but to give up my place. I do know someone was able to defer their place at a different uni however. Obviously it's not the sort of thing that people usually plan to do anyway so perhaps sharing this is not that helpful. I just wanted to make it clear that deferral is often very much not an option even with totally valid reasons.

ell

Post by ell » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:04 am

It's helpful to also highlight that different courses will make different decisions in these situations.

Cascina, sorry to hear you were unable to defer. Sounds like you made the right decision, though I can imagine how hard it was.