Confusion between various masters degree program

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
muktasingh14

Confusion between various masters degree program

Post by muktasingh14 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Hello ,

I have a undergraduate degree in psychology and a masters degree in clinical psychology with two years of experience . Unfortunately my percentage in undergrad was low which was 48% due to my ill health (below 2:2) but i improved my grade to 62 % in my masters (2:1). Now i wanted pursue Psych D which usually ask for bps membership . Not being so sure of getting the membership i applied for MSc conversion courses and other courses in various universities. Simultaneously i was accepted for the membership but by then i had left my job hoping that i would joining one of the courses . Now i have received offer letters from UEL for MSc psychology , Westminster for health Psychology and Northampton for children and young people psychology therapies program . Also waiting to hear from Essex for MA Jungian and post Jungian studies program .

I am feeling very conflicted and unsure as to what program should i pick because , my long term plan is to get into a Psych D program and if i do another masters i.e conversion program then how badly it is going to affect/reflect my chances of getting into clinical program . (Although it would give me a chance to improve my grades ) on the other hand personally i am more inclined towards Jungian program but doubt its merit on getting selected for the doctorate program as it would not include research module (which would present in MSc psychology conversion ). It would be a great help if someone can help me ..guide me in making this decision and soon as i have to make a deposit this week itself . please please help me .

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Hockeygirl

Re: Confusion between various masters degree program

Post by Hockeygirl » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:12 pm

muktasingh14 wrote:
I have a undergraduate degree in psychology and a masters degree in clinical psychology with two years of experience . Now i wanted pursue Psych D which usually ask for bps membership .
It might just be me, but I'm a bit confused by your post? You need to have GBC, which is graduate basis for registration with the BPS, if you have an undergraduate degree in psychology, depending on your university you would already have this, and so a conversion course would not be necessary?

If you are hoping to boost your grades, personally I would pick something with a research module.... though you state you already have one masters, so I'm not sure how much a second one would help?

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Hockeygirl is correct that it is GBC that you need, not membership of the BPS. The first thing you need to be sure of, regardless of which programme you are veering towards, is that you will have GBC. Did you do your first degree in the UK? If not, you will need to check with the BPS if your degree is recognised.

Without wishing to quash ambition, however, I do feel obliged to point out that, even with you having done a Masters, I think the grade obtained in your undergrad degree is going to make it extremely difficult for you to get on to any D.Clin.Psych course. Not having even obtained a 2:2 will put you at a HUGE disadvantage and might even mean automatic rejection from some courses, even if you have extenuating circumstances.

Before spending any money on what could be an obsolete qualification, I would strongly suggest you check with the clinical courses you are interested in whether your low undergrad grade will debar you from the course. I'm saying this not to put you off but to make you aware of just how big a task is ahead of you. Better to find out now than to start something that is going to cost a lot of money but move you no further forward.

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 pm

As per the BPS site, "To join as a Graduate Member, you'll need to have achieved at least a 2:2 in an undergraduate degree accredited by the Society".

Having a third will be an issue with SOME programmes but by no means ALL programmes. Many will rightly look at your Masters as evidence of academic ability and others will rely on ability testing. I suggest talking to the BPS directly and finding out what you need to do.

muktasingh14

Post by muktasingh14 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 pm

I thank everyone for the replys , really it is helping me to put things in perspective . Ok so to clear confusion my first degree is from India and the message pasted below is a part of the letter i received from bps .
"Graduate membership - MBPsS
You have also been granted the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC). This letter can be shown to course tutors who require proof of membership and GBC."
They send me this on basis on my over all profile along with other specifics . I called them too to confirm the same doubts as mentioned in my initial post but they say that they can't comment on it and that i need to check with each university for their specific requirement.
The fix is now that i have to choose a course as i left my job and to apply for another post graduate courses i would have to wait till next academic year . So i thought why not do a course and try improving my chances for PsychD Program .
So if i have to choose then which one should i pick ?
MSc Psychology Conversion
Msc Health Psychology
Msc Research Methodology (but it is a very expensive course for me .)
Thanks aton :)

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 am

I'm still not convinced another MSc is necessary, but given your situation I would say definitely do not go for the conversion. Conversion courses are aimed at people who's original degree was not in Psychology, which does not apply to you given you have GBC. Of the remaining two, I would suggest the Research Methods would be the most advantageous. That said, there is something to be said for doing whichever one interests you the most as that makes it more likely you will do well.

muktasingh14

Post by muktasingh14 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:19 pm

That does make sense ....Thanks alot ..it helps and supports in thinking sensibly :)