Clinical reference

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
lingua_franca

Clinical reference

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 am

Seven years after joining ClinPsy, and having surely earned some kind of poster girl status for "enjoying the journey", what with an unexpected PhD, a surprise postdoc, a brief foray into speech and language therapy training, and time in assorted war zones...I am thinking of making my first application for the DClinPsy. It just feels like the right time, in a way it never did before.

My question is about the clinical reference. In my last hands-on clinical role I had group supervision from a psychodynamic child psychotherapist and individual supervision from a mental health nurse. Both of them have a good opinion of my work, but neither of them has written a reference for a DClinPsy application before. Am I likely to be at a significant disadvantage for not having had a reference from a supervising CP? I could afford to work one day a week as an honorary AP alongside my fellowship, so I may look for some voluntary work of that sort if a CP reference is going to add something important.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Clinical reference

Post by maven » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:13 pm

A one day per week post for 12 weeks will have known you for 12 days by the time the references are due. I'm not sure that is enough to write a reference. So, whether it is ideal or not, at the moment your best choice is someone that knows you well and will write positive things about you.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I'm not planning to apply this autumn, but next, to start training in 2019. My fellowship runs until then. I'm just thinking about what I can do to polish up my application in the intervening twelve months.

Although obviously I've been upset when I haven't got jobs I really wanted, I've never felt pressured by an application itself before, not in the way I used to see support workers at my old workplace getting anxious about the DClinPsy. So I don't want to start going out of my way to tick every box, worrying that I don't tick enough, etc., in case I get sucked into the same kind of stress. But if a reference from a CP is weighted significantly I will definitely start looking for some part-time or honorary work.
- A.A. Milne.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:02 am

If you've not had CP supervision in any of your activities, then I'd suggest that you don't really know what CPs do, which would be a detriment to your application above and beyond who writes a reference. If so, there would be definite advantages in getting involved in actual CP work, with actual CPs.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am

I think I have a reasonable idea of the role itself (I've had contact with CPs through different jobs, one of them quite closely - I did a fair bit of audit and admin work for her), but I've never had a psychologist as my official supervisor or line manager, and at my last workplace there is a policy that only official named supervisors will give references. I agree that being directly supervised by a CP would give me new insight and perspectives. I will ask around in my department and see what opportunities I can find. Thanks for your input.
- A.A. Milne.

ImaginePsych

Post by ImaginePsych » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:37 am

I think that although it may seem favourable by some (all?) courses, I definitely don't think it's a must to stand a reasonable chance! In the last 2 rounds I have secured 3 interviews for the doctorate (for 3 different courses) and I have never had a CP write a reference. Instead I have had two PWPs write my reference's. I was also shortlisted through my application not via selection tests .

Personally I think a reflective, well-written app will outweigh a CP reference, however it could be argued that it may still give a slight edge?!

All the best :)

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:47 am

While I never had a clinical psychologist write a reference for the DClinPsy, I did have referees who were able to comment on my ability to perform in the aspects of clinical training (i.e. clinical, academic and research abilities and personal attributes). While it is definitely helpful, and all of my post qualification references have been CPs, if someone is familiar with the territory and can demonstrate it that can often do.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/