Only applying to one course centre

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
PolkaDot

Only applying to one course centre

Post by PolkaDot » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:54 pm

I just wanted to ask people's thoughts on this. I'm thinking of only applying to one centre because I cannot move and would only be able to travel to one university (I'm in Scotland). Would this look bad on an application? Thanks.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Monroe

Re: Only applying to one course centre

Post by Monroe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:11 am

It's completely fine.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:28 am

More people than you might think do this, because of the age people are at when they finally feel ready to apply there are plenty of people who have already settled and have houses/families/partners that they can't uproot, so they only apply to one or two nearby courses.
Also, I seem to recall that shortlisters can't actually see what other places you have applied to. Not certain but I'm sure I've heard it said before.

Volta

Post by Volta » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:17 pm

I can't see why that would be a problem, I only applied to two courses as I wasn't in a position to move and it worked out ok.

Also like firegal, I'm pretty sure they can't see where else you've applied, unless we've both just made that up :)

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:04 am

Every course centre can see which other course centres an application has gone to. That doesn't mean that information is given to a shortlister - or that anyone would care.

han10

Post by han10 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:15 am

When I shortlisted I could see where else someone had applied - but it had absolutely no bearing on how I shortlisted their application for the university I was shortlisting for, and I really didn't care if they had applied to 1 or 4 courses!!

My experience of shortlisting was that I had a strict criteria that I was shortlisting to, specific to that uni's requirements. That was it really in terms of what influenced my shortlisting - makring the info on the form against the criteria set out my the uni.

Good luck in your application

PolkaDot

Post by PolkaDot » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to just apply to one!

katiesykerd

Post by katiesykerd » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:40 pm

I can't move either so that's definitely influenced where I apply to, but in previous years I've applied to Cov/Warwick because they give some feedback at application stage. I have no intention of going there, but its just nice to try and see where I can improve my application since I've never been shortlisted and at the time didn't have access to people to help me with my application.