Funding

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
icebluesparkles

Re: Funding

Post by icebluesparkles » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:20 pm

I am not sure if I am reading this right or even if it is clear at all... The email that reishi kindly posted seems to suggest that universities have been guaranteed funding to provide places but not it's not clear if that means salary support has been agreed?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
flaman

Post by flaman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:45 pm

I am trying to understand the prospects of funding for the 2020 entry.

As far as I understand, the full spending review is unlikely to be done in time for 2020-21 because of the Brexit mess; however, it is not clear to me whether they will simply sustain the same funding as in previous years. See:
https://www.hsj.co.uk/finance-and-effic ... 34.article

This is what a report by the Institute of Fiscal Studies says:
The government has already committed an extra £20.5 billion to the NHS by 2023–24. Given other existing commitments on defence and aid, the path for over half of day-to-day public service spending (£156 billion in 2018–19) has already been largely decided.

Before setting individual departmental budgets, the Chancellor needs to decide how much to spend in total. Due to pre-existing commitments, the overall size of the ‘spending envelope’ will determine how tight settlements will be for ‘unprotected’ areas. The latest provisional totals imply an increase in overall day-to-day spending, but cuts to areas outside of the NHS, defence and overseas aid.

Over the four years from 2019–20 to 2023–24, the Chancellor would need to find an extra £2.2 billion to avoid real cuts to ‘unprotected’ spending overall. He would need to find an additional £5 billion to avoid this spending falling in per-capita terms and £11 billion to avoid it falling as a share of national income.

A disorderly Brexit would be likely to lead to lower economic growth in the short and long run, but may not mean less money available at this Spending Review. This would eventually require lower spending, or higher taxes, than would otherwise have been the case. But a fiscal tightening would not need to happen immediately, and there could be a case for more spending over the next few years, not least to assist with border issues and to mitigate the impacts for the worst-hit sectors or areas.
https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/13854

Does anyone have any information regarding funding for the 2020 entry? Thanks!

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:03 pm

I thought it had been confirmed for a few years but I can’t find anything beyond people saying 2019s funding was secured so I am not sure of the latest.

Speaker

Post by Speaker » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:10 pm

The ACP tweeted this back in June
"Briefing paper from @NHS_HealthEdEng out today confirming no changes to model of funding for clinical psychology training in England until 2021. Review to be carried out in consultation with stakeholders over next few months. ACP-UK to continue to press for full salaried support."

flaman

Post by flaman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Thank you, this is good news!