Will My Academic Reference Remember Me?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
randomgrapes

Will My Academic Reference Remember Me?

Post by randomgrapes » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting (except for to introduce myself), so I'm a little nervous! :?

Just for a little background, I graduated with my 2:1 in 2015, and I'm aiming to apply for the DClinPsy for entry in 2019 (whether I get in or not is another matter!). My questions is basically, it's been so long since I've been at university, will my academic reference even remember me?

Whilst at university I was pretty much middle of the crowd, and I haven't spoken to any of my lecturers, or my dissertation supervisor, since then. So I highly doubt they would remember me at all!

Has anyone else been in this situation? What can I do when I apply, is it worth sending my transcript/copy of my dissertation to whoever I choose as my reference?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
MarkM

Re: Will My Academic Reference Remember Me?

Post by MarkM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Who is your academic reference (who did you have in mind)? Why don't you just drop them an e-mail and see if they remember you? d:

If it's your dissertation supervisor I would imagine that they do remember you since it's a longer-term project...and really, it hasn't been that long, no? But even if they do not remember you, perhaps if they look back over your dissertation that might refresh their memory and help them with being able to comment on your academic and research qualities. (:
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

TunngWithWhiskey

Post by TunngWithWhiskey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm facing the same problem with my application. The tutor who supervised my MSc research project is not available.
Do you think I could ask one of the tutors I had on my PWP course, which was more recent than my MSc (I'm a PWP).

Thanks in advance for your help!

M

randomgrapes

Post by randomgrapes » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:25 pm

MarkM wrote:Who is your academic reference (who did you have in mind)? Why don't you just drop them an e-mail and see if they remember you? d:

If it's your dissertation supervisor I would imagine that they do remember you since it's a longer-term project...and really, it hasn't been that long, no? But even if they do not remember you, perhaps if they look back over your dissertation that might refresh their memory and help them with being able to comment on your academic and research qualities. (:
I thought about either my dissertation supervisor - as you said, it was a longer term project and I certainly spoke to her more than anyone else! But she was still fairly hands-off, we only met maybe once a month, and our meetings were usually pretty short. My particular university didn't have a lot of contact time in general to be honest!

I was also thinking of asking a different lecturer of mine, he lectured in my final year and said some very positive things to me, and was a clinical psychologist himself in the past.

This is all a fair way off in the future so I'm probably getting ahead of myself, I'm just worrying! Thank you for your advice, when the time comes I will email whoever I choose and (if they accept) send them my dissertation to help them out! I guess it hasn't really been that long, I don't really know how long lecturers tend to remember their students for to be honest!

ell

Post by ell » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Maybe send an enquiring email to all the prospective options and see how they respond? That would give you an idea of how much effort they are likely to put into the reference, and whether or not they remember you, and how responsive and available.

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 pm

My academic referee was my supervisor in an RA post, as I formed no meaningful relationships with staff during my Masters, and graduated from my psych degree in 2011 and my thesis supervisor was on long-term sick leave when I was applying. It's possible to use someone outside of the university environment if they can comment meaningfully on your academic/research abilities.

randomgrapes

Post by randomgrapes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 am

This has been super helpful, thank you everyone who has responded!

I hadn't even thought of using someone outside of university, although this isn't relevant to me now it may be in the future, so it's good to know :D