LiveChat Event: University of Surrey Course Team online Q&A

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
clinlecturer

University of Surrey online Q&A

Post by clinlecturer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:43 pm

The Surrey course team are considering holding an online Q&A session here on the forum at a date / time TBC. In advance of this we would be very interested to know:

1. What is the level of interest in such a session
2. What sort of questions would you have for members of the course team

So please respond to this thread with your comments and suggestions - we look forward to hearing from you!

Many thanks (in advance),

The Surrey PsychD Team.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
clinlecturer

LiveChat Event: University of Surrey Course Team online Q&A

Post by clinlecturer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:49 pm

The Surrey course team are considering holding an online Q&A session here on the forum at a date / time TBC. In advance of this we would be very interested to know:

1. What is the level of interest in such a session
2. What sort of questions would you have for members of the course team

So please respond to this thread with your comments and suggestions - we look forward to hearing from you!

Many thanks (in advance),

The Surrey PsychD Team.

HWoody

Re: University of Surrey online Q&A

Post by HWoody » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am

Hello clinlecturer

I would be very interested, as when I am ready to apply Surrey would be my number one choice.

Because of the stage I'm at, my questions are more around applying, as I still need to build up sufficient work before I can apply -

- If I were to take up an honorary position, would Surrey University value Assistant Psychologist experience or Research Assistant experience more?

- If I were to tailor my work experience to getting a place on the Surrey University course, what sort of roles should I consider?

- How much value does the University place on first class degrees and degrees from top 10 / Russell Group universities? (I have read that some Universities place a higher value on this than others).

- What advice would you give to (a) older applicants (b) career changers from a non-mental health field?

Many thanks
Woody

laurajane123

Post by laurajane123 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:37 pm

I would also be interested.

I would quite like to know how much importance is placed on having on research being published.

jason712

Re: University of Surrey online Q&A session

Post by jason712 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:38 pm

I would definitely be interested. In terms of questions I suppose it would revolve around the application process, the general things that they look for and a bit about the course content, what placements to expect and so fourth.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 pm

Those are great questions. I would also like to know (if possible to ask, if it is not putting anyone at an unfair dis/advantage):

- Whether there is anything particular that the course is looking for in the application form
- What, if anything, is recommended for review/revision before the entrance tests (alongside practice papers of course)
- How much disclosure is recommended for the personal interview (so that answers can be pitched at the right level)

Thank you for the potential to have the opportunity for a Q&A; I would be interested in any questions or topics discussed even if they are not the explicit ones I have mentioned.

ebeck

Post by ebeck » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:39 pm

Yes, I would also massively appreciate something like this. I've heard other university admissions tutors talk before and always regretted not having had a chance to hear Surrey Uni on some of these subjects.

I agree with the questions already suggested and would add:

1) Selection
a) How do Surrey weight the written MCQs and the online SJT - does one have more weight than the other?
b) I believe Surrey only look at the application form to judge if candidates meet the min criteria to be invited to the tests. Is that right? But do they look at the form more closely, especially personal statements, as they compile the shortlist based on test scores, or after the shortlist is compiled but prior to interview (in other words, do they look at the personal statements at all, or do they judge only on test scores for the shortlist and on interview performance in terms of offering places? Are forms scored and if yes, on which areas does Surrey place particular emphasis?
c) Much is made of the personal interview both in the alternative handbook and 'out there' on the grapevine. Many say it is shockingly scary and personal. What can we expect and how boundaried can/should a candidate be in answering personal questions?

2) Surrey as a course
a) How would a Surrey representative characterise the flavour of its course in a few sentences? There is a lot on the website and the clearing house website, but in a nutshell, what is Surrey's essence, from the course team's perspective?
b) What does a working week look like and what are the rules regarding annual leave? Is it possible for parents to get some time with their kids in school holidays?
c) How freely can students choose their dissertation topic and research approach, or is it more a case of choosing from subject areas proposed by supervisors based on their research interests?
d) Does Surrey see itself as one of the more heavily CBT focused universities, or at the other end of the spectrum, more pluralistic / integrative relative to other course centres?

Sorry, that ended up being quite a lot! I really hope this session goes ahead!

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 pm

Great questions ebeck, thank you!

Flickk

Re: University of Surrey online Q&A session

Post by Flickk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:47 pm

This would be really useful! With regards to possible question areas I agree with Jason712- the application/interview process, location and assignment of placements, and things which might help an applicant to stand out (or transferable skills which are particularly valued by Surrey). Additionally, maybe some discussion around advice for previous applicants/interviewees and useful points to think about when re-applying.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: LiveChat Event: University of Surrey Course Team online

Post by BlueCat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 pm

Oh my goodness. I'd scanned past this so many times and not realised what it was about! I've changed the title to more accurately reflect the content.

It is great to see more and more of the clinical training courses having a presence here on the forum. This forum was always about trying to break down the barriers around needing to know people in the field in order to access expertise and advice, and as more courses actively participate, that barrier is more dismantled.

What a wonderful opportunity this will be for those thinking of applying to Surrey (and elsewhere). I'd encourage forum members to respond with their interest, and any questions that they might like to have answered. One that I can think of is the ubiquitous "Does (insert description of practical experience) count as relevant clinical experience?" another, along the same lines, is "I can't get a look in for an assistant psychologist post, what else would be as good?". Anything else?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:12 pm

There are two posts on this I believe, would it be easier to have them in one? :)

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20776

clinlecturer

Update! LiveChat 13/11/17 17.30 - 19.30

Post by clinlecturer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:17 pm

We now have a date and time for our LiveChat - Staff from the programme team will be online from 5.30-7.30pm on Monday 13th November to respond to your queries about our course and the application / selection process.

We do suggest that you read our entry on the Clearing House website beforehand:

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/Clin28Surrey.html

We look forward to meeting you next week!

Meanwhile, here's a list of some FAQs to start the ball rolling....

General F.A.Q
Thank you for your interest in PsychD Clinical Psychology at the University of Surrey. You can find out about the course here http://www.surrey.ac.uk/psychology/stud ... /index.htm and here http://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/pr ... ogy-psychd. Applications are completed via the Clearing House website http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/.

The entry requirements are a 2.1 in Psychology, eligibility for graduate basis for chartered membership (GBC) with the British Psychological Society (BPS) and nine months full time equivalent relevant work experience. You must also demonstrate how your relevant work experience has allowed you to apply psychological principles in practice. You also need to be able to drive and have access to a vehicle for placement.

You can find out about applying for GBC with the BPS on the BPS website athttp://www.bps.org.uk/what-we-do/member ... mber-mbpss.

We look for evidence of experience that has allowed you to adopt a psychologically informed approach. Work needs to be with a clinically relevant population. Research should involve contact with participants and the exploration of a relevant psychological approach.

Applicants that meet our requirements will be invited to sit a multiple choice test which takes place in February, and a Situational Judgement test. The tests are marked and ranked, and the highest scoring test takers are invited to interview.

Is my work experience relevant?
I am afraid that we cannot provide individuals with specific guidance regarding whether their work experience is relevant, other than the admissions criteria which are published on our webpages and on the Clearing House page. Due to the large number of applications we receive each year, the academic team are not able to provide personalised application advice for all applicants, and so this would give an unfair advantage

You must also demonstrate how your relevant work experience has allowed you to apply psychological principles in practice. We look for evidence of experience that has allowed you to adopt a psychologically informed approach. Work needs to be with a clinically relevant population. Research should involve contact with participants and the exploration of a relevant psychological approach.

I’ve got a 2.2

Applicants with a 2.2 in their degree need to have a masters by research (MRes) with 65%, or a PhD in order to be eligible to apply.

My degree isn’t in Psychology

Applicants who have a first degree in a different subject are eligible to apply if they have taken a conversion course that grants eligibility for GBC. You will need a 2.1 in your first degree or have done an additional masters by research (MRes) or PhD. and achieved 65% or over. This is in addition to the conversion degree.

I’m not from the UK so don’t know if I can apply

In order to apply for the programme at Surrey, you must be eligible for UK/EU fees. This is because the NHS pays trainees’ fees. Your fees status is based on your nationality and your residency, and you can find out more about how your fees status would be classified here http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/BasicInte ... lFees.html.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 pm

This sounds really useful, and thank you for the FAQ so far!

Unfortunately I will still be at work during the date/time of the LiveChat; could someone please save and upload a transcript so those of us that can't make it can have a read later? Thank you!

clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:15 pm

We will be on the LiveChat in a few minutes - see you there...

clinlecturer

Post by clinlecturer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi - we are now live on the LiveChat board - waiting for your questions about the Surrey Course