Lack of research!

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
LilHippo

Lack of research!

Post by LilHippo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi

I am applying to the doctorate program for the first time this year. I've been graduated for a year and have spent the time working as a support worker for a charity in Edinburgh. I have a lot of practical experience through paid and voluntary roles but have done zero research since my undergrad dissertation. Will this be a problem? I did well in my dissertation (got a first) but I feel like this is nothing compared to most people! If nothing else there is a personal statement in the application about publications of which I have none!

I know I'm very unlikely to get in this round of applications anyway but any one else's thoughts on this would be really useful! Thanks :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Lack of research!

Post by Geishawife » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:05 pm

I very much doubt you will be the only applicant for whom their only research experience is their undergrad project! I wouldn't worry too much about what other applicants do or don't have - instead, focus on making your own application the best it can be. That means demonstrating what you have and what you have learnt and being reflective. If you got a 1st for your project, you must have some research skills, to say the least! Show selectors that.

If, as you predict, you do not get on this year (and who knows??) look at building your research profile for the next round of applications. That could be in a designated research post, but there are lots of opportunities to boost your skills within clinical posts as well (audit, evaluation etc.). Good luck either way.

LilHippo

Post by LilHippo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Thank you! Definitely just experiencing that application anxiety. Should I not be successful this year my next year is definitely going to be research focused!

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:09 am

You could also look to publish something from your dissertation, or by doing an audit in the charity you work in. But it sounds to me like your academic side is relatively strong with a first, and it is substantive experience in the NHS and/or supervised by a clinical psychologist that you lack this time around.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare