2:2 at undergrad, but Distinction in MSc conversion course

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
vickifoulds1

2:2 at undergrad, but Distinction in MSc conversion course

Post by vickifoulds1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Hello,

It's as the title says, really... Will courses only take the (non-psychology) undergraduate degree into account when shortlisting, even if subsequent postgraduate study has shown higher marks?

I achieved:
- 2:2 at undergraduate level for BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences, in 2010 (University of Leeds)
- Pass with Merit for PGDip Psychotherapy and Counselling, in 2016 (University of Leeds)
- Pass with Distinction for MSc Psychology (with a mark of 85 in the dissertation), graduating in December 2017 (University of Bradford)

I'm hoping this will show that I am able to learn from past mistakes and take on constructive criticism, to score highly at a postgraduate level (including improving further at my second attempt at postgraduate study). However, the Sheffield website stipulates that it looks at your undergraduate degree classification as the "main indicator of academic competence" :? Reading between the lines, I'm hoping that means if they were looking at an undergraduate Psychology degree, rather than any other degree, but I just don't know...

If anyone has any information/advice/experience surrounding this, I would really appreciate it!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: 2:2 at undergrad, but Distinction in MSc conversion cour

Post by Geishawife » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:42 am

I think you'd need to check this with the individual courses as there is no "one size fits all" answer. Some courses will insist on a high 2:1 or first at undergrad, regardless of whether that was in Psychology, others will use selection tests and not consider your grade apart from ensuring you have an honours degree. Best to send off a few e-mails and check with the individual courses you are interested in before you apply.

persephone56

Re: 2:2 at undergrad, but Distinction in MSc conversion cour

Post by persephone56 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Yes, I'd check with each course individually. I got a high 2:1 at (my unrelated subject) undergrad, and a first in my conversion course. I always assumed that the first was what was counted, but I recently heard that UEA, for one, take the grade from your undergrad degree into account, NOT a conversion course. But I'm not even convinced that that's a hard and fast rule either, so definitely check with each course you're interested in.