'If there are any other factors relevant...' question

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
LilHippo

'If there are any other factors relevant...' question

Post by LilHippo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi guys,

I am kind of stuck on this question in the clinical application. I'm a little unsure as to what counts as a factor? Is it ok to leave blank if you can't think of any relevant factors? The most relevant factor I can think of is that I am really really keen to get an interview and I love psychology etc etc, but I'm pretty sure that's not what they're after. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
jason712

Re: 'If there are any other factors relevant...' question

Post by jason712 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 pm

LilHippo wrote:Hi guys,

I am kind of stuck on this question in the clinical application. I'm a little unsure as to what counts as a factor? Is it ok to leave blank if you can't think of any relevant factors? The most relevant factor I can think of is that I am really really keen to get an interview and I love psychology etc etc, but I'm pretty sure that's not what they're after. Any advice greatly appreciated!
That question is completely optional, it's only there if there's something you feel is worth mentioning. If you do think of something the important thing to remember is to ask yourself "what is it I want the reader to know about me in writing this?". Basically only write if it's worthwhile and not to just fill it in. I've just finished my application, though holding off sending it until I have my supervisor check it out for me.

olive

Post by olive » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi,
I've been told this is mainly concerning if you tick like the disability box.. if you'd like to explain it some more (but if you want to keep it anonymous then leave blank).
But I too feel something should be written in there given the strict word count!!

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:28 pm

It has been a while since I was facing the business end of the clinical application, but I seem to remember there is a huge long "Guidance Notes" document which gives (over)detailed guidance about what is appropriate in each of the sections?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:45 am

Do not put anything in this box unless you meet one of the criteria for what should be written in this box (such as explaining mitigating circumstances, a career change, a personal relationship with a reference or unusual choice of reference, a career break, or personal experience of mental health problems - but don't even write about these kinds of things unless it is necessary to understand your application, and within the guidance given for this box).
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

collo16

Post by collo16 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:53 pm

I would like to add a question onto this. I realise we can explain mitigating circumstances, but say for example there are reasons you feel you academic record was not up to scratch due to events but you never applied for extenuating circumstances?
I.e. One set of summer exams I achieved quite poor results due to a passing of a close friend, however when extenuating circumstances were discussed with my University they requested a death certificate and I didn't want to do this so just accepted the poor grades.

I hesitate to write something like this as it seems 'sob story' and everyone has difficulties, however the transcript is looked a closely and these grades don't reflect me and I don't want to regret not saying something.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

astra

Post by astra » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:29 pm

If it made a difference to your grades that year, mention it. You can always elaborate at interview if needed.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:07 pm

I distantly remember using that box to address a gap in my career history (I'd been travelling for a few months, so I just mentioned it there). So yes, I'd only use it to include something directly relevant to your application; not as an extension of a personal statement.