Advice about academic reference

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
PolkaDot

Advice about academic reference

Post by PolkaDot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:33 pm

I’m having trouble deciding on my academic reference for the application this year.

I graduated from undergrad in 2013, had a good relationship with my dissertation supervisor and they always give me a glowing reference when asked. Got an overall first and a first in my dissertation too.

I graduated from a masters at the beginning of this year. Got a distinction overall but my dissertation was a systematic review, I got a B and never had that much of a relationship with my supervisor.

I’m leaning towards asking my undergrad supervisor because I think they would give me a better reference but would this look strange on the application due to me completing a masters?

Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Advice about academic reference

Post by Geishawife » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:36 pm

I don't think it will look odd. Opt for whoever knows you best and can give the best evaluation of your research skills. If that's you're undergrad supervisor I'm sure it will be fine.

PolkaDot

Post by PolkaDot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Geishawife!

That's reassuring, I've just sent my undergrad supervisor an email to request it. Thanks for your help :D

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:47 pm

You can also send information about your masters to the undergrad tutor, so they are able to mention it.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:12 am

Things may have changed since I last looked at the form, but there certainly used to be a massive guidance document which specified what to do in just this sort of circumstance, who you should give as your academic referee. I can't remember exactly what it said, but seem to recall it being fairly clear.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.