Re: 2018 Doctorate Application Progress thread

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
phdmartin

Post by phdmartin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:09 pm

benbrand wrote:Feeling pretty down about this, but oh well. Definitely feeling burned-out with full-time work and overwhelmed with impending MSc exams next week, so the 4 rejections didn't help. Trying to maintain a positive outlook and engage in self-care :D

Bangor
Glasgow
Oxford
Leicester

Good luck in interviews errbody :D
Hi Ben,

Do not feel down. There are many folks holding PhD and two or more Masters who have not been invited to the interview not put on reserve list. DClin Psy admission is a matter if luck with a limited inclusion of experience and knowledge.

It surprises me how some candidates were invited to the interview at one Uni but were rejected by one or more Universities. The selection process says it all.

Head up and all the best to everyone.

M
"Have no fear of perfection; you'll never reach it."
"Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood."

Marie Curie-Sklodowska

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:12 pm

phdmartin wrote:It surprises me how some candidates were invited to the interview at one Uni but were rejected by one or more Universities.
Why is it surprising? All universities have different entry criteria, whether at undergrad or postgrad level, and all clinical courses have different philosophies. Hence it's perfectly feasible for people to be interviewed by one course and not another.

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Geishawife wrote:
phdmartin wrote:It surprises me how some candidates were invited to the interview at one Uni but were rejected by one or more Universities.
Why is it surprising? All universities have different entry criteria, whether at undergrad or postgrad level, and all clinical courses have different philosophies. Hence it's perfectly feasible for people to be interviewed by one course and not another.
Absolutely this. Even within the same universities entry criteria can change, I was on the reserve list for a place at Exeter one year and not even interviewed the next. In the cases where personal statements are taken into account, those are reviewed and rated by people, each of whom will carry with them their own set of experiences and expectations when it comes to the processing of applications, no matter how much they stick to the marking criteria, that quirky little comment you threw in to your statement will make one person laugh and the next person cringe, what one person reads as highly professional another may see as robotic and lacking in personality. That is the system we work within. It can be difficult to read at times from an outsider perspective, but at the end of it all we get a new group of qualified Clinical Psychologists, with a very low failure/drop out rate, so something in it is working.

JB99

Post by JB99 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:28 am

lozzyhickers wrote:2017 (3rd time applying,solid reds before this)
UEAgot to 10th reserve
IOPPN
RHUL
UCL

UEA
IOPPN
RHUL
UEL

Got years of clinical RA experience, 2 honorary AP posts and an MSc. Really not sure where to go from here.
Did you receive any input from CPs for your application? It seems that the way you write your application is a huge mediator in getting interviews. Was your personal statement highly reflective?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:29 pm

JB99 wrote:
UEAgot to 10th reserve
IOPPN
RHUL
UCL

UEA
IOPPN
RHUL
UEL

Got years of clinical RA experience, 2 honorary AP posts and an MSc. Really not sure where to go from here.
Did you receive any input from CPs for your application? It seems that the way you write your application is a huge mediator in getting interviews. Was your personal statement highly reflective?
And a paid AP role, as honorary ones don't count in the same way for some courses, and you really need some direct CP supervision.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

JB99

Post by JB99 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:33 pm

miriam wrote:
JB99 wrote:
UEAgot to 10th reserve
IOPPN
RHUL
UCL

UEA
IOPPN
RHUL
UEL

And a paid AP role, as honorary ones don't count in the same way for some courses, and you really need some direct CP supervision.
And I guess a paid AP role in the NHS. Working in the NHS highlights the problems faced by CP in the NHS, and many doctorate courses seem to look for explicit signs of knowledge about this.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:35 pm

JB99 wrote:And I guess a paid AP role in the NHS. Working in the NHS highlights the problems faced by CP in the NHS, and many doctorate courses seem to look for explicit signs of knowledge about this.
Agreed. NHS experience is another thing that would enhance that brief description of your CV.
phdmartin wrote:Hi Ben,

Do not feel down. There are many folks holding PhD and two or more Masters who have not been invited to the interview not put on reserve list. DClin Psy admission is a matter if luck with a limited inclusion of experience and knowledge.

It surprises me how some candidates were invited to the interview at one Uni but were rejected by one or more Universities. The selection process says it all.

Head up and all the best to everyone.

M
I get your point of reassuring Ben, but selection isn't down to luck, it is down to experience and how you communicate that experience. So if some people do have postgraduate qualifications and not get shortlisted, that will be to do with not having a reflective form that really sells what they have to offer to the full breadth of the CP role.

And as geishawife said, courses each select based on slightly different criteria, and rank applicants against each other, so different courses might value particular features more, or have more or less applicants with certain qualities or experiences to compare you to.
Miriam

lozzyhickers

Post by lozzyhickers » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:06 pm

miriam wrote:
JB99 wrote:
UEAgot to 10th reserve
IOPPN
RHUL
UCL

UEA
IOPPN
RHUL
UEL

Hi, thanks for responding to this Miriam & JB99

I have indeed had CPs look at my application, and it has changed quite a bit since my first cycle. It's more reflective than it was certainly, but how it compares to other applicants', I don't know.

I have direct CP supervision, and have had that for the past 2 years. In the last 3 years i've had all NHS experience. And although i'd love to get a full time paid AP post, I am currently in a situation where I can't afford the pay drop, so this isn't a viable option for me in the forseeable future.However, for the courses I have applied to, they say they value honorary AP posts just as much as paid ones.I'm also unfortunately not in a situation where I can relocate, but that's another story! haha

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:22 am

lozzyhickers wrote:I have direct CP supervision, and have had that for the past 2 years. In the last 3 years i've had all NHS experience. And although i'd love to get a full time paid AP post, I am currently in a situation where I can't afford the pay drop, so this isn't a viable option for me in the forseeable future.However, for the courses I have applied to, they say they value honorary AP posts just as much as paid ones.I'm also unfortunately not in a situation where I can relocate, but that's another story! haha
I have some sympathy for financial constraints, but sometimes short-term costs have long-term benefits - otherwise people wouldn't pay for postgraduate courses, for example, or volunteer in time they could be doing paid work - so it might be worth considering whether to swap it round and do the lower paid work plus some extra earning hours of some kind, rather than the higher paid work plus volunteering.

As to valuing honorary posts equivalently, even if that is true, it is also about the amount of hours involved. Don't forget that two hours per week adds up to less than three weeks of full-time work per year. If I was looking for someone with six months FTE of clinical experience for one point on the application and a year for two points, then you'd have to have volunteered one day per week for 2.5 years to reach the threshold for the first point and 5 years to get two points (or 9.25/18.5 years to get the points from 2 hours per week). It probably isn't as literal as that, but my point is that substantive clinical experience is usually more valuable (on your application, and to your skills and readiness for training) than what can be achieved as a volunteer.
Miriam