Moving to do DClinPsy

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
HWoody

Re: Moving to do DClinPsy

Post by HWoody » Mon May 06, 2019 8:22 am

Miriam I agree, it's as if you're only committed enough if the maximum upheaval to your life has been undertaken to get work experience and on to the training. The odds are stacked enough against parents and older applicants.

I get that each course wants to have the best people but it would be nice if where you live could be considered in terms of applying to your nearest university. It's frustrating that I live 10 minutes away from one course but may have to take something much further afield if I get offered one but not the other.

Anyway. For me it's a problem for the future.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Wed May 08, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks Miriam! It did feel grim. I think the sense I had of my university was that they didn't want to seem as if they were unfairly discriminating against non-parents. In fairness I had more of my 'can I make this work' discussions with placement supervisors than the university directly, as it seemed like it was my job to negotiate that with the placements. It is possible that if I'd asked for more help from the university, I might have got it. I was so worried about looking as if I wasn't a 'good trainee' that I did work hard to not ask for anything more than the minimum of adjustment. I don't think that feeling is entirely my own personal psychopathology, I do think early training does breed that feeling.

I do admit to holding an enduring grudge against a supervisor who knew my situation as a lone parent in my new city and demanded that I appoint a specific client late afternoon at the other end of town, and insisted that I return to base in late school/ start of rush hour traffic to write up notes immediately afterwards so that I couldn't possibly leave by my official finish time. If there had been a need for this to happen (service need, it suited better for the client, high risk issues etc) this would have seemed appropriate, but maybe hard cheese that she insisted I saw that client, but on discussion there was just no rationale for my not being able to move the patient 30 mins earlier. I would sit with nothing much to do all afternoon, then have to race around. That was the placement that I used to sob all the way down the motorway back to childcare and a tired small child. That was the most dreadfully unsupportive placement in which I nearly left the course. Everyone else (later placements) was either extremely supportive, or at least didn't go out of their way to be unsupportive! Certainly no-one ever sat me down and said 'That sounds hard, what would you need to make this feel manageable'. It has definitely shaped my thoughts about supervising and about how to get the best from people, so hopefully it's all been for the greater good and has supported my own development as a supervisor.

Most people who parent do get through the course, and I do feel it is possible to get through in difficult circumstances (I can't talk about disability or other challenging factors and obviously don't want to talk for everyone or make light of it). It did have an effect on my mental health in the most challenging placement, not because of the placement work, not because of the academic work, solely due to juggling all of it and not feeling 'safe' to say it was too much or adjustments needed to be made.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Wed May 08, 2019 5:29 pm

I do feel this needs addressing more to ensure that trainees are able to progress through the doctorate without sacrificing their entire lives. In one ClinPsy interview they basically said ‘this is the breadth of our placement catchments, you have to be able to get to all of them, it doesn’t matter if you having caring commitments’. I was genuinely quite shocked by that as whilst I understand placements are difficult to arrange and the areas are very wide, accounting for someone’s disability, caring commitments, childcare etc is a step in widening the diversity of trainees. I can understand that it would lead to resentments from other members of the course though if they were always given the furthest away placements etc but more could definitely be done. Part of the problem of course is how few universities run the course, and unless you are able to uproot your entire life and move that poses a lot of challenges for anyone settled within an area. Very challenging!