When do I need the necessary experience by?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
RobertDV

When do I need the necessary experience by?

Post by RobertDV » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Really sorry if this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find an answer myself. I've just obtained a research assistant position within the NHS working with individuals with depression. If I apply for the doctorate this year, I will have a full years experience by the time I would be starting (if I was lucky enough to obtain a place, I'm sure it's more likely I won't but I'm just planning things out at the moment). Do doctorate courses want you to have the necessary years experience at the time you apply or is being in a position that will give you the experience by the time you start sufficient?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: When do I need the necessary experience by?

Post by maven » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:14 pm

There is no prescription of a year's experience. Some courses have a minimum to be eligible for short-listing, but the key is what you get from the experiences and how you can reflect on them. There is nothing prohibiting you from applying, and many courses with assessment days don't have minimum requirements beyond GBC, but if you look realistically at the experiences of successful candidates you will see that very few have only a year, and most have quite substantially more than this. As ever, my strong advice would be to make the most of where you are, rather than trying to find the fastest way onto training.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

reishi

Post by reishi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:29 pm

RobertDV wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:43 pm
Really sorry if this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find an answer myself. I've just obtained a research assistant position within the NHS working with individuals with depression. If I apply for the doctorate this year, I will have a full years experience by the time I would be starting (if I was lucky enough to obtain a place, I'm sure it's more likely I won't but I'm just planning things out at the moment). Do doctorate courses want you to have the necessary years experience at the time you apply or is being in a position that will give you the experience by the time you start sufficient?
My understanding is that you need to have that experience at the time of the application. Good luck.
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."

bellabab

Post by bellabab » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 am

I think as far as the application goes, full-time equivalent for current employment is calculated up until the end of January as that’s when the last batch is released to course centres.
I assume courses use this figure but am only commenting from experience applying not shortlisting!

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:58 pm

If the course specifies a minimum period of experience as a shortlisting criteria, that period counts from the point at which you are shortlisted.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.